Greetings from NM

BluePearls

Hi - just found out about this place. Hooray, thanks to whoever sent out the email!

I have 2 55 gal. tanks, a 20 long and a 10 going right now. I only keep... I know you'll be so surprised... blue pearls. :) I used to have a few golden clams but no longer. I've been keeping shrimp for about 5 years, but keeping fish almost my whole life. I currently have two species of rainbow fish - M. praecox and M. boesmanii. I started out with just a few shrimp and the next thing you know... I have gone through them from time to time, selecting out the bluest individuals, and so most of mine are pretty darn blue.

Hope to take part in some interesting conversations here.

Welcome!  What part of New Mexico do you live in?  I will be moving to ABQ in about a year in a half.

Do you keep the blue pearls in just one tank or several tanks?  I would assume you wouldn't keep them with your rainbows (I used to have them and I think they would devour those shrimp super quickly).

I would love to see some photos of your blue pearls.  Does your strain have the red dots?  I had a strain of them 3+ years ago that had some really cool small red spots on them and at the time were some of the bluest I had seen.

Thank you Soothing Shrimp and hi Will - I do keep them with my rainbows actually. I have never witnessed them going after the shrimp, and in fact I keep having more, somehow... you would think if they were eating them I'd have less! It's possible the boesmanii will be slightly more problematic but the other thing is I have planted tanks and so there are plenty of hiding places for the shrimp. That is one of the crew in my avatar. Yes, some of the shrimp sport the red dots which is pretty cool actually.

I live high in the northern mountains of NM somewhat near a town called Mora. Not that near, I would not want to have to walk to my house from the PO in Mora, but it's the nearest place with a PO so we claim it.

Wow, you are in CO? And just look at the species you keep! Nice! I've thought about another type occasionally but I've got shrimp in nearly every tank. Would not want them interbreeding!

Here's one of the girls and you can see some red dots on her:

bluepearl1.jpg

If you end up getting another species then you may want to do something like Malawa's that don't interbreed with anything!  I am surprised your rainbows leave them alone, all my tanks with shrimp are shrimp only tanks.  When I had rainbows I hatched fry on accident by moving javafern from my main tank into a shrimp tank.  A week or so later I had little rainbow fry swimming around!

Hi everyone - thanks for the friendly greetings! Soothing Shrimp, most of mine are really quite blue. Just like with any population there are variations, some are a little paler and some are REALLY blue. The really blue ones are hard to see in my tanks, because I use black gravel and they blend right in!! They are best seen against the plants or driftwood.

Oblongshrimp, great idea on Malawi or some other type that will not interbreed with what I've got. I have not really searched for an alternate species, perhaps this forum will inspire me to do so!

Merth, I live way up in the northern mountains. I would have to drive a ways to find cholla wood, but I know I could find it. In fact I have some growing here in the garden, just not a whole bunch. It has gorgeous flowers on it in the spring. But the elevation here is a little too high for it to truly thrive, the way I've seen it elsewhere in the state.

Bluepearls, there are two different types of shrimp: Malawi and Malawa.

Malawi are much harder because of a larval stage the babies go through.

Malawa can live in cherry params, and the babies are high order- little mini adults.

Not trying to show off knowledge, just trying to let you know the difference in case you find yourself ordering some. heh

Soothing do you mean Malaya Shrimp?  I used to have them years ago but I don't know anyone who still keeps them.  They have a larval stage but don't need saltwater or any special care and will turn into mini adults in a few days. 

Sri Lanka shrimp also have a brief larval stage that doesn't require saltwater (also doesn't interbreed with anything).  I used to keep them years ago as well but unfortunately I don' t have them anymore.  Another shrimp I haven't seen anyone have in years.

I think I may mean just that Oblong.  I've never kept them (although I do keep Malawa), and just knew the info from the top of my head.

Do you have pics of the Sri Lanka shrimp?  From what I'm reading it seems to be a catchall name given to shrimp from that region. (?)

I posted something about them here I don't want to highjack the thread anymore then I already have ;)

• 2 weeks later...