Is it bad to let Purigen dry out?

Its fine.  When you get it, its all dried up, and you can apparently reactivate a used bag with bleach.  (and obvious rinsing / chlorine removal)  If it can withstand bleach, it'll be ok if it dried out on ya.  I have a dry bag here waiting on reactivation.

The new packaging, in the tear off bag, is different.  When it was packaged in the cardboard, or if you buy it in the plastic bottles, its dry.  Guessing they pre-rinse it in the tear off bags?  Original instructions said to rinse it 1st.

So packaging aside, it looks like it might be bad to let it dry out once it has been used.  I found this on the Seachem website.

"You are correct that the Purigen that is packaged in the plastic bottle is damp, and that the pre-bagged is usually dry.  This is normal due to the difference in packaging and it is not an issue.  The problem arises when you have placed the Purigen in use in a filter then remove it and let it dry out.  If you remove the Purigen from your filter you should store it in clean fresh water in a sealed container."

They done explain further if a dried out bag becomes unusable.  My "guess" that it'll still work, but not be as effective and/or, drying it will crack/shrink and already used bag creating more dust.

Its a polymer resin, nothing organic about it, so it should be fine to reuse.

I have always kept mine moist in a plastic bag. Just the other day I went to use it and found mold growing on it. Of course I had to start the whole bleaching process over again. One thing I don't understand is why you have to soak in the buffer solution. That buffer is kind of expensive and at one tbs per cup you can use a lot.

Buffer is due to the high pH left after bleaching. It's described here, as well as them verifying that dry purigen might make the beads crack and create more dust. Let the purigen soak in some water for a few days after regenerating and rinsing. If it's not throwing the pH thru the roof, save some $$ on the buffer.

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/archive/index.php/t-199.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

the hydrogen peroxide will not clean the purigen properly though, those ion exchange resins are very porous. I would only trust chlorine ion to remove the organics.  Using bleach is quite safe in the aquarium hobby, because the chlorine ions are very unstable they will leave the solution as chlorine gas over a period of about 2 days.  If you use hot/warm water with your bleach 50/50 solution, the chlorine will be mostly gone by the next day.  From there you wash everything after waiting about a day or if ALL of the purigen is white.  I usually will resoak the washed & renewed purigen in more hot water, then I will replace that water with fresh tap water with 4x concentration of Prime and let sit for 8 hrs+.