what stage RODI

I am going to do it and order a RO System.

A couple questions.. Do I want to buy  4 stage or 5 stage ?   Do I want the RO  or RODI?    

And how much should I expect to pay? I am seeing them from double digits to over 300 dollars.  

I want one that will make good water but dont want to over pay just for a brand name. 

Thank!

This is the unit I use.  I really like it. SpectraPure is a really good company with great customer service.  They may not be the cheapest, but I really like them and I figure you get what you pay for.

http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS/CSPDI-Manual-Flush-90-GPD-RO-DI-System

This unit has a tds meter that will measure the water before going into the ro part, coming out of the ro, and finally coming out of the di unit.  Very easy to set up and good instructions.

You want atleast a 4 stage system.

• Sediment Filter
  • Carbon Filter
  • RO Membrane
  • DI Resin Canister

Everything else is added benefit.

I chose BulkReefSupply's 5Stage system with RO drinking water system.  My system is mounted under the sink in the kitchen, and I ran a line to my DI resin in my office where my tanks are.

Extra Carbon filter on the 5stage is 0.5micron, which means less TDS going into the RO Membrane and subsequent DI resin, helping it to last longer.

If you have a TDS meter already, you dont need one.

This is the minimum I would go with.  $150.00

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-ro-di-system-75gpd-2.html

The 4 stage will handle Chlorine/chloramines.  Very nice/affordable entry level RODI system.  Thats why I linked it.  You'll go thru DI resin faster, but if you have a TDS meter you dont have to buy the color changing re$in.  (save a few bucks)

"Our Value Systems include BRS Universal Carbon Blocks capable of treating all common water sources including well water and municipal water supplies containing disinfectants such as chlorine and chloramines."

Ok.. I probably will end up ordering  that one, but I still am confused.. what is the  5 stage for?    if 4 stage is enough. I just feel like if I am going to spend the money I should get one that is going to get the water nice and pure. I thought the fifth stage was for the chloramine. 

This is what my 5 stage BRS includes. I believe BRS switched their 5 stage unit to a six stage unit. They added an extra deionization filter. However, you need to use a "catalytic carbon block" to remove chloramines.

1. Sediment Filter

2. 5 Micron CTO/2 Carbon Block

3. 0.6 Micron + 1 Carbon Block

4. Deionization Filter

5. Membrane 75gpd

Yep, what Mayphly said. Two carbon filters instead of one. 5 and 0.5 micron. The 4 stage uses a 1 micron carbon filter. Meaning cleaner water thru the RO membrane and DI resin, making them last longer. The RO membrane isn't cheap to replace, and the cost of the DI resin adds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys  :)      I will be really happy to make my own water instead of running out . Although seeing those small hoses the water comes through makes me think Ill be in for hours of sitting around watching water be mad so it doesnt overflow  :)

I purchased the BRS 75GPD RO/DI unit a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it! I highly reccomend it and I use either a 5gallon bucket or I just bought a 7G water storage container from amazon and I just set a timer. 1.5hrs for the 5G makes about 4 gallons of RO and 2Hrs for my 7G container makes about 6 gallons of RO. Just make sure you are around when your timer goes off.

Did you get the 4 stage one Ryeguy?    For those of you that use larger buckets, how do you get the water from the larger containers to the tank.  (this would be in the basement)  

Did you get the 4 stage one Ryeguy?    For those of you that use larger buckets, how do you get the water from the larger containers to the tank.  (this would be in the basement)  

I purchased the 4 stage unit. When I fill a larger container I actually sipon it out into gallon jugs for top offs and small water changes.

I siphon as well. I recently drained my 32 gal brute trash can and will make a cinder block stand for it. This way I can add a spout near the bottom and use gravity to fill my buckets/containers. Either that or a pump to pull water from the container into buckets and 5 gallon jugs.

Just had a great idea for water storage if I can find something like this..    You know when you buy laundry detergent in bulk?  (like from sams club) and it has  a turn off cover and also a spigget?      I could use something like that .  fill it through the twist cover and dispense the water into gallon jugs through the spigget. (however that is spelled) 

Something like in this picture.  Have you all ever seen empty clean containers like this?  

http://www.amazon.com/Detergent-Freshlock-Efficiency-Machines-150-Ounce/dp/B002UATFUO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1436915110&sr=8-8&keywords=bulk+laundry+detergent&pebp=1436915116859&perid=13WNG2MPVZ9QV9YVYRNY

You'd be better off with the AquaTainer. Don't use a laundry detergent bottle if there was detergent in it. You'd be asking for trouble.

Oh no. I would never  use the detergent bottle. I was just using the picture to try to explain what kind of bottle I was looking for

Got my unit.   Got it from a LFS  who builds them.  I had planned to buy from bulk reef  but stopped at a LFS today to pick up RO water and we got talking.  It was a few dollars more than bulk reef but has the benefit that if anything goes wrong I can take it back to him to fix rather than send it out.   I got 5 stage because he said our town uses tons of chlorine and also uses chloramine.   He said the 5 stage would make the ... one of the filters last longer. I forget which one heh.  

Thanks for all your help guys. I was able to hold an intelligent conversation because of what I learned here.  

He has also started his own shrimp tanks in the store.  He isnt selling the shrimp yet, as he is waiting to breed enough to start selling.   So far he has Blue velvets,  cherry/red rili same tank, Orange Rili and Chocolates.     

I told him all about this site.  :)

Got my unit. Got it from a LFS who builds them. I had planned to buy from bulk reef but stopped at a LFS today to pick up RO water and we got talking. It was a few dollars more than bulk reef but has the benefit that if anything goes wrong I can take it back to him to fix rather than send it out. I got 5 stage because he said our town uses tons of chlorine and also uses chloramine. He said the 5 stage would make the ... one of the filters last longer. I forget which one heh.

Thanks for all your help guys. I was able to hold an intelligent conversation because of what I learned here.

He has also started his own shrimp tanks in the store. He isnt selling the shrimp yet, as he is waiting to breed enough to start selling. So far he has Blue velvets, cherry/red rili same tank, Orange Rili and Chocolates.

I told him all about this site. :)

Do you mind sharing which store?

Sure Adrand.   We actually talked about him before.  It is  http://www.fishmike.com/    Mikes Aquatics.      I think I had said to you that its not  really worth driving  from mass for.  It is a tiny place but if you are ever in manchester it is worth a stop.  Especially if his shrimp take off.  It is pretty close to the highway exit off 293. 

Sure Adrand. We actually talked about him before. It is http://www.fishmike.com/ Mikes Aquatics. I think I had said to you that its not really worth driving from mass for. It is a tiny place but if you are ever in manchester it is worth a stop. Especially if his shrimp take off. It is pretty close to the highway exit off 293.

Ahh yes i remember now thanks. I eventually need a rodi unit so good to know that they offer them there. I hope yours works out for you. Im sure it will be nice for you to have the convenience of making your own at home now.