Can detritus and rhabdocoela worms come from plants?

maylee

I have a fairly new cycled 10g tank. It's been cycled for about 2 weeks. I only have two adult shrimp in the tank and 3 shrimplets.

I'm using eco-complete and the only thing I put in the substrate was some mk-breed silver powder.

These are the only other things I've put in the tank;

Two pieces of cholla wood

Mini pellia

One indian almond leaf

One guava leaf

2 alder cones

and most recently I put in some frogbit (which I'm pretty sure is the source of the hydra I just got)

I have not put any sort of food in this tank except for dosing Bacter AE about 4 times total since I started it.

Somehow I have a bunch of detritus worms in the substrate already. I see them wriggling around like they're mocking me.

I got detritus worms from dosing Bacter AE every other day.. So I switched it up to every two weeks that I do a water change is when I'd dose. The amount of detritus worms dropped. You could also bring pests from plants.. Always good to give them a good dip first!

Is Alum something I can easily get or are there simpler methods?

I didn't realize Bacter AE could cause detritus worms too. But I guess it makes sense if its creating the biofilm they eat. I didn't dose that ofte though.

Oh well. Thanks guys.

What is this "Alum" that you speak of?  Sounds like I need to get some.

Although I dont have a problem yet, I do see some "Critters" roaming the substrate, but to me, they're just part of the Eco System that I'm trying to replicate, and they have their purpose.

Indeed, what is the "Mode of Operation" when using Alum?  I'm going to guess that you create a solution.  1TBSP per Cup?  Take your plants to the mixture, making sure to scrub behind the ears and under their arms, said "bugs" should run away from the pickled solution and fall to the bottom of the container (thinking Red Planaria / Flatworms in freshwater for dipping coral frags).  Rinse the plant with fresh water, done.  Just spend a minute or two per plant.