Hi from Florida!

BarbaraBetta

Hi everyone, happy to see a Shrimp forum!  I keep Bettas, Endlers and Guppies....started with Bettas years back, breeding and keeping them....then got into Endlers and Guppies....and now SHRIMP, I just love them. I have Blue pearl, cherry and just had an order of yellow...but they all died on me within 3 days of receiving them....I have a 29 gal. tank, two 20 gal, four 10 gal, nine 5 gal, four 2.5 gal tanks....and yes, a very sweet hubby...LOL, oh and I also have some snails which I started getting into also....this is an addiction for sure! ;)

Welcome! Where do you keep all those fish if you're breeding them all? I know bettas take a zillion little containers as the grow...

I have a zillion little containers! LOL

I have a bunch of beanie type containers, grow outs for the Betta fry. I have to say I have been leaning more toward my Endlers and Guppies (and now shrimp) these days....because of that reason. In fact this weekend there was an uproar in my female Betta sorority tank...and one of my imported fish ended up dead...never got to breed her either. I even use those large containers that pretzels and cheese doodles come in with sponge filters and heaters to keep some of my Bettas, having to keep all the males separate does become a bit of a pain, I have to admit.

I admit I love bettas... my boy is spoiled with his 6.6 gallon tank all to himself. He's gorgeous and full of personality. But it's hard to devote that much space to one critter when that same tank will hold a boatload of shrimp or several tiny fish. Sigh. When his time is up I probably won't replace him with another betta, though I wish I could save all of them at the fish store.

You have some really pretty strains it sounds like. :)

Thank you! I got some from AdrianHD, the class N Mint top yellow swords (which just had babies this morning!!) and the White Peacocks which had babies last week....I really love the Japan blue Guppies which I also got from AdrianHD. I want to get some more strains, but need more tanks...lol...that is why I am cutting back on my male Betta population....free up some space. I guess you wouldn't call me a selective breeder huh?  :P

Depends.  Are you keeping the best to breed from?  Then I'd call ya a selective breeder. :)

Only by keeping the best does your stock quality improve, and you have better stock to offer.

I read once of a guy who had decided to make his own guppy strain of delta tails.  He started with wild guppies and every 3 months he would cull the ones that didn't make the cut.  Using only one tank, he made his goal in 3 years.  Could he have done it sooner if he separated the fish and did careful selecting, etc?  Sure.  But his goal was to relax and to produce healthy fish that had the trait.  He had a goal and had fun doing it.  THAT'S what selective breeding is all about.  Having fun striving for your goal.  THAT is a kind of success in itself. :)

ah, so I guess I am a selective breeder then...lol...just with many varieties! And yes I love my blue pearl shrimp....and they are doing very well too !  I just ordered some Orange poso Tylomelania snails....I LOVE them too....I know I heard they are hard to breed but I'm going to try...anybody have experience with them? Suggestions? :)

I had a few Tylos years ago when they first started appearing.  They give birth to live young but only one or two at a time in my experience.  The "young" are about the size of a grown MTS though.