Shipping Questions

Trotwood

A couple of quick questions for those of you who ship your shrimp:

1. When shipping large-ish numbers of shrimp (20-50) do you use multiple small breather bags or one large one? Is there a general rule regarding how many shrimp in a single bag? (I'm specifically thinking about sub-adult shrimp, around the 1/2-3/4 inch size)

2. Can you recommend a good source for Kordon brand breather bags? Do any of the sponsors carry them?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, 10-15 juvies per bag.

I use Long Life breather bag, so far so good and cheaper than Kordon.

I agree. 10-15 juvies in a 9 x 7 long life breather bag with about two cups of water is safe. I have done 20 before with success. I just add a little more water. The problem with that is the more water in one bag the more of a chance it will develop a leak. I recently started to double bag all my orders.

1) From my experience when I ship large shrimp orders I send them in smaller bags, 12-15 juveniles, or around 8-10 adults. 

2) Kordon quit manufacturing the 5x8" breather bag, so many including myself have switched to the 6x9" Long Life breather bags. I have had great success with them so far.

If your interested in the larger Kordon breather bags visit http://www.aqpkg.com/

how do you guys tie the bags?   :fpc:

When I tie my breather bags, I usually tie a regular not as cinch as tight as possible, then wrap a rubber band around the knot for added security.

When I tie my breather bags, I usually tie a regular not as cinch as tight as possible, then wrap a rubber band around the knot for added security.

I have trouble tying the initial knot,  I'll get there eventually but it is definitely the hardest thing I do in the hobby imo

I have trouble tying the initial knot,  I'll get there eventually but it is definitely the hardest thing I do in the hobby imo

I don't have a video or pictures otherwise I would show you, but maybe I can help by explaining.

When your shrimp and water are in the bag, I hold the top of the bag and twist maybe 2-3, 3-4 times. It is important not to twist to many times, otherwise the slightest bump could cause the bag to burst. So be sure when twisting to leave some wiggle room for the bag. Once this step is done, I then twist only the top part of the bag, not the part holding the shrimp and water, this ensure the bag doesn't again get to fragile, but makes more of a rope at the top. Once I have created this "rope/braid" at the top it is much simpler to tie the knot. When you tie the knot try to cinch it down as much as possible.

Hope the explanation wasn't to vague, but definitely hard to explain versus showing.

When you double bag do you have to put something between the two bags, newspaper or something, or just one inside the other?

You have to wrap paper (newspaper, paper towel, etc) around teh first one before double bagging.  If you don't, the exchange is severely diminished.