Hello From Minnesota!

Crink2716

Hello everyone! 

Just joined the lovely addiction of shrimp .. the forum and hobby of shrimp keeping :thumbsu:  I work at a LPS for a while and have many hobbies ( which seems to happen a lot when you are around pets everyday ... ) soo 3 dogs, 20 Hermit Crabs, 1 Adopted Chameleon, 38 gl Display fish tank later I decided to start a nano tank.... 5 gl.  Trying to decide what could live in a tank of that size with a quality of life etc... made it slim pickings for what I had available around me ..... We always have ghost shrimp where I work and had always found them interesting but started doing research and found these little amazing gems... a local breeder had introduced me to what they called Bloody Mary Shrimp Neocaridina. I started off with 7 and now have noticed that they have been "busy" in my tank... I have 3 females that are berried.  Seeing since this is my first time ever owning shrimp I'm overwhelmingly excited and yet feel like I have jumped in the deep end a little too soon ... haha.   Since noticing that my new babies are expecting I am wondering what I can do to optimize the survival rate of the new arrivals to be.  The tank system they are in currently is a top fin 5 gallon .... now the one they are currently in has the filter and water intake all fixed in so doing modifications was/is slightly tricky.  I suppose the nice thing is that the filter cartridge is located before the pump so I was able to stick a sponge in front of the filter to help slow the flow and any shrimp being sucked in... ( here is a link of the tank I have set up http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariums/top-fin-5-gallon-glass-aquarium-zid36-27504/cat-36-catid-300065).  The flow of the water is very calm towards the middle and bottom but at the top I have angled the output so that it isn't such a crazy outflow and makes the water a little more calm than what it could be.  I feel this tank could be greatly improved with a completely different tank but my shrimp seem to hang out where the flow of the water is strongest...and seem to be enjoying it (idk maybe I have some strange shrimp but I thought they preferred more calm currents than the higher flowing water currents.... ) Some helpful ideas and information would be greatly appreciated and where you get a lot of your food and what is the best brand in your opinion.  In the mean time here are some pictures of the lovely babies and I am officially addicted... 

Here are two of the momma bears in the first picture 

image_zpswzrjxcra.jpg

image_zpsw62wznmb.jpg

image_zpshne7ffqv.jpg

image_zps2jaqge5p.jpg

image_zpsbfk7oag0.jpg

Welcome Crink! We are glad to have you. Two very broad pieces of advice to start, 1) Be Patient. Especially when it comes to cycling new aquariums. 2) Don't over analyze. If your shrimp seem to be happy, molting properly, and breeding then you have everything going right. No need to worry if the temperature changes 1 degree, or your parameters are spot on compared to an internet guide. Do what works best for you, and if you have a problem ask this forum and we will happily help.

+1

DET, your response is so good it should be stickied.

I need to come back daily and read it again for my daily reminder.

3 berries out of 7 shrimp to start is awesome.  I see lots of moss and what appears to be lots of biofilm, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if your babies think the new digs are just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to give everyone a  little update on my "pre-freaking out" stage before the first clutch of babies came around.  My tank just so we are all aware I feel is flourishing to the point that I have more shrimp now than what to do with them! haha apparently my tank is perfect in every sense of the word because every week I see new little babies emerging from my java moss to explore!   I'll show you some update pictures!! 

This is from the first clutch ( see how tiny the little guy is on the right compared to his papa )

image_zpsukql4uut.jpg

I took this picture about 3 days ago so this will give you an idea as to how big the first batch has gotten ( granted I feel this is only a handful of the baby shrimp as I had just finished cleaning the walls of the tank and they are all emerging from the safety of the java moss.  Also the object on the substrate in the middle closes to the glass... its not a parasite of any kind just some java moss that had come loose while I was scrubbing the walls.

image_zpsqnnwjnxv.jpg

I do have a question for those of you who would know .... How big should your shrimp be before you normally send them to new homes?  I have heard to wait until they are 1/2 an inch ... just wondering what everyones thoughts were on the subject.