Neos in tap water--a gamble?

I am still working toward keeping neos for the first time. I have a so-far 3-week-old 10-gallon getting established with a sponge filter, old media, and danios. I've been reading a lot on this site and elsewhere, and as I got back into it recently, I realized that there is now more emphasis on the idea of using RO water for neos, because some keepers have experienced problems with using tap, even though the parameters tested fine.

I am not planning to get into RO water, nor to purchase water, and I am wondering if it is too much of a gamble to try keeping neos in tap water. Obviously I don't want to waste money by buying shrimp and having them die, and if there is a high likelihood of that happening due to my using tap, I would need to rethink my plan. However, if quite a few people still have success with neos in tap water, that would be encouraging.

I have two kinds of "tap" water I can use. Our household tap is actually rainwater from a concrete cistern, so it has a GH of 3 and KH of 2, I believe from sitting in the concrete. Our concrete cistern actually houses what seems to be a healthy population of fair-sized amphipods, so apparently it is not all that toxic. It is then filtered through sediment and charcoal filters and a UV sterilizer. However, it is not 100% foolproof, because in spring when there is a lot of pollen, it washes in with the rainwater and breaks down.

The other source of water I have is a hand-pump well which comes out at 17 dGH and 16 dKH, I believe. Too hard for neos, but I could mix the two types of water. We live way out in the country, so one hopes our well is not polluted.

If I do give it a try with tap water, I'm wondering if some extra precautions might help: small water changes such as 10%, dripping in new water, and maybe using plants and floaters to purify the water and reduce need for water changes if possible.

If I were you I would go with your filtered rain water and remineralize. Although it does sound like there is some fluctuation in the source water so remineralizing will not be consistent. Neos would probably do fine with it even if it isnt exact every time. The super hard well water could probalby has large amounts of minerals that could be toxic. My well water tests fine but has something poisonous in it for shrimp.

I think the first water gh look a bit low but overall it fine just misd a bit of the second water for neo some use ro water because there water parameter is too high like my gh and kg is off the roof so people like me have to use ro water

This is probably going to be an unpopular answer but I live in the Rockies and recently bought from someone else in the Rockies for similar water parameters. He uses tap with declorinator as he is in town. We used tap from our well with neos and it was quite hard. We've since gone with RO but just as part of an expansion plan, not due to problems. Neos seem to be quite hardy and a blend of your waters will probably be fine. Yes, there is a chance of toxins but I would risk it. Also, you will see fluxuations, but that is nature.

Before I moved I kept my neos in tap.  My Rilis did great,  My blue pearls did not.     Now there could have been a completely different reason than the water that the blue pearls did badly.   Or maybe the params were just to different from the man I bought from.  

I really think it all depends on your tap water.  

Thank you for so much for your answers. I really appreciate all of the perspectives. It does make me wonder whether the issue tends to be the actual constituents of the tap water, or rather the fluctuations in constituents introduced by water changes. I still don't know what I am going to do, but at least I still have time to think about it before starting with shrimp.

I am glad that it has worked for you, oldmanfris. Do you have well water or city water? My current thinking is to use 3/4 rainwater from my cistern and 1/4 well water, because the KH is very high on the well water. Hopefully it will work.

I kept my first cherries in a 3g planted tank (inert substrate) with just tap water and prime for 3 months. They did fine there and my tap water is kind of hard (GH, KH about 8, if I remember correctly). I only started to mix it with distilled water when I got otocinclus becaus I read they like soft water.