Ramshorns- love 'em? Hate 'em?

So I've had a love hate relationship with ramshorns over the years,

I've recently started adding them to some shrimp tanks though and am really liking the way they clean up the leftover food/waste.

What I don't like is they eat all algae on the glass, but I'm thinking I can compensate by doing some powder foods- which as a plus, they can clean up anything uneaten too.

I know they can breed out of control, but some lettuce on the bottom and pull later does the trick.

Any opinions?

I tried the lettuce trick a couple of times, and didn't get a single snail, so for some reason,

it just didn't work for me. I went with Malaysian Trumpet Snails in with the shrimp, and the ramshorns

with the fish aquarium.

I like snails but to many are no good . What I do is siphon out as any as possible just like you do while doing water changes and I use algae cichlid wafer to get them to accumulate and than suck them out.

The shrimp will disband once nodged with the siphon tube .

I am picking up nerite end of this week , see how they work out.

there always seems to be enough food between my snails and shrimp. 

well, one of my shrimp did look like he was punching a nerite when he was trying to eat "his" snowflake food.

it was cute. 

but i only supplement maybe 3x a week. maybe ramshorns are pigs

I think snails are a price to pay....they are helpful .....sure it's not a nice sight seeing hundreds of them.....but they do have an important role in that ecosystem. I used to fight them with no mercy but now I'm happy to see them....for some reason there in check...I've got many but they 're backstage I've got malaysian great for my substrate and ramshorns great for leftovers..they don't bother the shrimps or the plants so I don't bother them....

I recall when the assassin snail craze began.  I did not get any because snails aren't a problem plus I visioned the marine cowry snails which kill small fish and now you are hearing stories of assassin snails killing shrimp.