Water changes?

Shrimp lover

Hi everyone, I was wondering how often you do water changes of your neo tanks? I think I have been doing too many resulting in dying shrimp! :( I have about 50 shrimp in my 20 gallon with 3 guppies, a small betta, and a BN pleco. What would you recommend?

I barely do any! If the shrimp are happy don't change it!

Exactly. I probably do a water change once every two months on average. There usually isn't any reason to do a water change if your parameters are stable. I really only perform water changes when my TDS has risen to a level I am unhappy with.

Exactly. I probably do a water change once every two months on average. There usually isn't any reason to do a water change if your parameters are stable. I really only perform water changes when my TDS has risen to a level I am unhappy with.

I barely do any! If the shrimp are happy don't change it!

Thank you! I will definitely decrease the amount of WC

the problem is nitrates.

i don't know how well shrimp can tolerate them.

fish don't like them,they also can get nitrate shock if a big sudden change happens.

if you can keep the nitrates at a good level (20 ppm or lower) then you can decrease the wc's.

I have lots of floating plants like frogbit in my 10G so my nitrates are always close to zero. I think they help very much with reducing WC frequency.

The only issue with that is you have to scoop out the extra plants every once in a while cuz they can take over pretty quick!

I have lots of floating plants like frogbit in my 10G so my nitrates are always close to zero. I think they help very much with reducing WC frequency.

The only issue with that is you have to scoop out the extra plants every once in a while cuz they can take over pretty quick!

I agree that floating plants very good nitrate suckers but the problem with them is the roots if I don't cut them for a couple of weeks my tanks start look like a jungle and is very messy. To cut the root is not an easy job I had to remove the plants from the tank and cut the roots off each plans, then I always have to check for small babies as they like to hide in them. Now I'm almost get read of all floaters because I'm tied to do this I better use purigen in the filter than cutting roots every second week. To recharge purigen is much easier job.