Blue Mystery Snail Died :(

mosspearl

Yesterday my blue mystery snail was doing fine... then late last night I noticed it was pulled up deep into its shell. the shrimp were trying to clean inside its shell, and even a ramshorn tried to roll it over and get inside. By this morning, a ramshorn was definitely inside the shell eating the snail. :( Poor little blue baby. She wasn't very big... only about nickel sized.

Moved the two remaining mystery snails to another tank for now... will be checking tank parameters later today after my pain meds kick in. I don't want anything happening to my shrimp and pink ramshorns. So far, everyone else in the tank are behaving normally.

RIP little blue one:

e4NzgcW.jpg

That sucks, sounds like you caught it before it could decompose to much though.

I know this stuff just happens sometimes... the blue was my particular favorite, of course. :P And I wanted to make sure something wasn't going through the tank to endanger the other snails and my shrimp. Thanks for the condolences. :mellow:

I have four left myself. Two Blues in the 18g. A Chestnut and Magenta in the 7.5g.

I decided to only keep two at a time in each shrimp tank. The 18g had four and that didn't end well. The Mysteries in the 7.5g are a couple and are always getting it on.

Have you noticed any difficulty in feeding them? The shrimp in the 18g are making it hard to feed them and I think it played a part in the two dying.

No, mine bully everything in their path to get to food. I've got two in my 10g now (this has fish, no shrimp), and one each in my smallest shrimp tanks. But I don't have a huge number of shrimp. How many shrimp do you have in the 18g?

Sorry it took me time to post, I have probably over 50 shrimp in the 18g. They swarm the food within 5 minutes every night.

Here's some bad photos of what the Mysteries deal with in there. A lot of times the shrimp bother them to the point that they leave and try to eat later. The ones that died seem to act worse with that.

post-10-0-99576100-1385245714_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-90608900-1385245810_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-69731100-1385246048_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-85282300-1385246093_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-33412300-1385246275_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We used to be able to keep these easily, but not lately.

Competition for food seems to be an issue.  Not just the food added, but natural food.  My tanks are cleaner and have many more scavengers than they used to.

Stef has a different theory.  She thinks the baby ramshorns get inside the mystery snails' shell, and eat the slime coat; causing irritation and stress.  It's true that last time we kept mystery snails with success, there were few or no ramshorns.  But I'm not sure whether what she thinks is physically possible.

Hmmm. Interesting theory. I hadn't thought of that. My remaining 4 mysteries are doing well (they share space with ramshorns as well), but I'll keep an eye on them. I have algae in their tanks as well as providing food for them. Crossing my fingers they continue to thrive.