Starting over, need tank size advice

So I just gave up my fire red 30gal tank to my mother since I am moving out and she wanted to keep angel fish so she can use that tank rather than the 5 gallon we got her for Christmas lol. Anyways, petco has a $1/gallon sale right now and I'm wondering what to do. 20 Long ,40 breeder or the big boy on the block model 55. Last tank was a simple drift wood, play sand and moss and this time I want to do black sand, low maintenance/ low light plants, drift wood and a corner filter using my canister and heater behind it. I only plan on keeping CRS this time and will be using RO water. what size would you choose if you wanted to have a hefty sized colony? I figured with a 40 or a 55 I can separate it down the middle with poret foam and have one side CRS and the other a different type but I'm in the air with the whole idea. Does anyone here have pics of their 20L/40B/55? Please and thanks for the advice .

20L is the size I prefer. keep couple hundreds in it without any problem.

40B/55 is good, it's better for the species that doesn't require culling.

The problem here is not what tank, I mean tanks of course you should get but what to do with those pesky kitchen cabinets!  :D

40 B would be cool with what it sounds like you want to do.  They are deep and not really tall, with lots of ground surface area and water surface area.

On the other hand, a 55 is nice and high and would be cool for a mountain aqua-scape.

Hmmmm, well multiple 20L is always good too.  

Get rid of the kitchen cabinets and get em all!

20L is the size I prefer. keep couple hundreds in it without any problem.

40B/55 is good, it's better for the species that doesn't require culling.

Do you have pics of your 20L? And how many CRS can you keep in it before you have to start worry about overcrowd and water changes getting out of hand?

The problem here is not what tank, I mean tanks of course you should get but what to do with those pesky kitchen cabinets!  :D

40 B would be cool with what it sounds like you want to do.  They are deep and not really tall, with lots of ground surface area and water surface area.

On the other hand, a 55 is nice and high and would be cool for a mountain aqua-scape.

Hmmmm, well multiple 20L is always good too.  

Get rid of the kitchen cabinets and get em all!

Lol yea no kitchen cabinets for me. The 40B I like because it's a bit shorter than the 55 and I figure since my RCS didn't really go to the top, the 55 is a waste of space up top. The mountain scape idea sounds pretty cool though. Also I had this idea of separating the two sides of a 55 for two species of Shrimp that would look good.

I have 10 40B's waiting for south American Frisbee fish, because of the dollar a gallon sale.  Ugh.  The tank size is great and would make a sweet shrimp tank.  At 40 bucks what a great way to go!  Nice heavy glass.  Would make an awesome sulawesi tank too!

Get her done and get pics up here!  Be nice to see your new creation.

The 40 breeders fit in the below shelf like a glove.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_319466-1281-MR3618BWG_0__?productId=3529778&Ntt=edsal&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dedsal&facetInfo=

It's possible to put 20s or 10s on the shelves below or to the sides.

Just thought I would mention this in case you don't already have a stand rack and the information could possible aid in your decision.

I have 10 40B's waiting for south American Frisbee fish, because of the dollar a gallon sale.  Ugh.  The tank size is great and would make a sweet shrimp tank.  At 40 bucks what a great way to go!  Nice heavy glass.  Would make an awesome sulawesi tank too!

Get her done and get pics up here!  Be nice to see your new creation.

Dang lol, cleaned out petco huh? Yea I think the 40 is what I will get but I'll decide when I go back to look at them. No matter what I choose I'll add it to my journal.thanks for the help .

The 40 breeders fit in the below shelf like a glove.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_319466-1281-MR3618BWG_0__?productId=3529778&Ntt=edsal&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dedsal&facetInfo=

It's possible to put 20s or 10s on the shelves below or to the sides.

Just thought I would mention this in case you don't already have a stand rack and the information could possible aid in your decision.

I actually do not have a stand and that is a great idea thank you. It is leaning me toward a 40 aha but I have a table in the room I want to put the new tank but I will have to figure out what fits and what doesn't .

So I was at Petco earlier for 30 minutes standing there looking at a 20L and a 40B. Back and forth and even had an employee tell me I had 1 1/2 hours to decide before closing lol. I left with a 40B after looking at how much floor space I had to work with. It's a busy week at work so hopefully I'll get my journal updated in the next few weeks of it with something to show. Thanks all for the help