TDA Sky High in Shipped Shrimp??

littlebirdie

I just got an email from someone who bought a package of PRL from me.  He lives in California.  He wanted to know what the tiny white balls were in the package and I told him it was Purigen.  He said the TDS of the water when he got the shrimp was 257 and thought Purigen was the reason.  I shipped them Tuesday.  When I packaged them I tested the TDS in the tank and it was 143.  Is this normal for a shipped package of shrimp?  Do you all use Purigen?  I know some really reputable breeders use it when shipping.  I was caught a little off guard and had no real answer because I had never heard anyone I have shipped to tell me the TDS much less it being so high.  He said he was "checking to see if Purigen was safe for shrimp."  I have always used it in the filter so...I would love for you all to weigh in about this.  Thanks

TDS will always rise during shipment because TDS rises with a build up of organic matter AKA shrimp poop. Purigen is fine to ship with plenty of people use it with 0 issues.

I seen TDS go 300+ when people pack 20 shrimp into 1 Kordon bag and water had TDS 140 in their tank. You will get big TDS spikes if a shrimp dies during shipment because of the same concept organic waste. 

Thanks Green Team...I never pack more than 11-12 in one bag but good to know.  Good answer! 

Greenteam is exactly right. It comes down to how many shrimp are in the bag, and the amount of waste they have produced since initial ship date. That is why when purchasing more expensive shrimp you go with the express shipping option, to help eliminate the risk of shrimp death, and build-up of waste. 

Thanks everyone. Just wanted to make sure I was shipping correctly. I know some remove shrimp from tank ahead so they don't eat therefore poop.

Thanks everyone. Just wanted to make sure I was shipping correctly. I know some remove shrimp from tank ahead so they don't eat therefore poop.

I always use Purigen when shipping as well, definitely a nice peace of mind.