New rack project underway!

Merth

sweet!  I tried building some out of wood but they weren't that great and took a ton of time to make (mainly because I didn't know what I was doing).  Can't wait to see this progress.

How many tanks is it going to hold?  What size tanks?

Currently it will hold (4) 10s, (1) 20L, (1) 1/2 29. I am making it to eventually have the ability to add a 100g grow out and potentially as many as (10) 10's. Endless combinations and possibilities. I just want it all consolidated and upgradeable. Also want to incorporate a large air pump to run all the sponges.

I also have one airpump for all my tanks and then use PVC piping and air nozzles to bring the air to my tanks.  I can do a writeup of my air system at some point (I also want to do one for my water setup and water changes. 

Ive been looking at the alita's so probably will go that way. Looking at a closed loop system of pvc and nozzles. Ive thought about the automated or at least a drain and fill system for water changes but since my tanks will be housing so many different varieties of shrimp and fish I will actually be using different water for the changes and I think I will run into more issues than just doing it the old fashioned way.

I originally ran pvc , but since then I found these. Much easier to work with and already works flawlessly.

I seal the ends with these. Leave one valve open and run the inline to it from the air pump, and use the other valves for outs.

Ya I saw this when you posted on TPT and it looks cool and is an option as well but Im more concerned with a gaggle of air tubing. When it comes time to run it I will debate which way to go. I do like the simplicity and having the controls all in a central location but I foresee a mess of tubing everywhere.

The biggest issue with my tanks is having both low ph and high ph inhabitants. Currently I have 4 shrimp tanks housing 4 different types of neos. One of those tanks is housing CRS, CBS and Tibees. I want to separate each type to their own tank and be more aggressive in culling for quality. I also have venustus fry that are about 1.5" right now. These will eventually get sold/traded. I plan on keeping one male, once old enough to sex, to add to my 75g african community tank. Then I have the angelfish babies that I'm trying to artificially raise and if successful will need grow out room. I have about 30 red empress fry the breeder is holding for me. And of course the 100 gal planted which my angel breeders are in. I have 6 L144's I would like to start breeding as well. So ya lots of stuff going on and not enough tanks or space for everyone.

Around here african cichlids are the hot thing. What I have experienced is a nicely colored male will fetch anywhere from $20-$25. Typically these are about 6 months of age. Venustus in the LFS at about 2" go for about $40. I was able to pick up 7 of them for $7 at a local auction. The red empress I got for $2 a piece. I know of 3 different sources that toss them into a grow out pond/tank and take to auction once big enough that will trade about 5-10 fry for a full size male. So if getting them for low enough price I can either raise to sell or trade for fish to add to my community tank. In a nutshell worst case I can get 3 full size colored up males for $60 as opposed to about $75. Best case I can get 6. Or I can grow them out and sell individually and hope at least half are males netting me a couple hundred in profit. If I separate and get proven colonies (provided I have an excess of females) thats even more cash. Thats what I love about this hobby endless possibilities.

LOL you gotta move up bro! Just think if those 50 tanks of yours were loaded with Taiwans the kinda money you could make. Seriously fish are more lucrative than shrimp by far but think how much space you need to stock 30 4" fish and thats just one grp. Plus you gotta be able to hold them til you find buyers. If my angels survive I have potentially at least 100 babies if not more (angels can lay upwards of 1000 eggs). I will need at least a 55 gal just at dime size and would have to find buyers. Just think how many thousands of shrimp you could have in just one 55g tank (I know terrible footprint for shrimp). Not too mention baby shrimp are so much less demanding than any fish I know with the exception of maybe guppies. 

Like any supply and demand business model you gotta diversify. I personally do it because I am cheap lol (you should know!) Raising them as a group from babies to get the one fish I want to add to my main tank and sell the rest to at least break even seems so much better than dropping $25 on a single fish. And because I like the challenge, I have to tell myself all the time No I cant have another breeding grp unless I get rid of what I have first.

I like the shrimp because like you said you can fit a bunch in a tank and they raise themselves.  Additionally they seem easier to ship.  I also don't want to have to try and raise food for the fry :)

Good points Oblong! Brine shrimp is a beatch! Im sure many have it down to a science unfortunately im not one of them. I read and I believe it was DK from TPT that said pick your poison basically. Fish, shrimp or plants trying to do more than one will pretty much drive you crazy imo.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok finally had time to work on it a bit:

Rack 12/12

made a few modifications...extended it to be able to hold upto 8'1" of tanks (picture two 75's side by side). Used 2x6 with a 2x4 backing on center shelf to eliminated the need for a center brace from first shelf to second (allowing 2 75's to fit). This shouldnt be an issue since the second shelf is going to be a project tank/workspace primarily. Also decided to give myself more room between shelves which eliminated the top shelf for tanks space instead it will be just be storage. Overall dimensions basically its about 8' 7" long by 2' deep by 7' high.