Heater vs No Heater & Air Pump Questions

Hey guys,

I am wondering if I should use a heater with CRS. I currently have RCS and don't use a heater and they seem to do fine. My water temperature stays within a few degrees with minimal fluctuations. Thoughts on this?

Also, I currently have a Collar aPump single output on a 10 gallon. I am in the process of setting up an 11.4 gallon Mr Aqua tank and want to know if that air pump will be enough filtration or have enough power to be okay in this tank.

Thanks.

-Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

I am wondering if I should use a heater with CRS. I currently have RCS and don't use a heater and they seem to do fine. My water temperature stays within a few degrees with minimal fluctuations. Thoughts on this?

Also, I currently have a Collar aPump single output on a 10 gallon. I am in the process of setting up an 11.4 gallon Mr Aqua tank and want to know if that air pump will be enough filtration or have enough power to be okay in this tank.

Thanks.

-Kyle

I use heaters for insurance and set them at 70. They rarely turn on and I live in MN. I actually have to deal with to much heat and use aquarium fans to keep temps under 72. My tanks fluctuates between 71-73 degrees.

Not familiar with your pump but if the air flow is enough to cause current in your tank then you should be good. I think HMF is one the best filtration system you can use and its run by old fashioned air.

My shrimp tanks range from 72 degrees at night to 76 degrees during day because the house temp fluctuates other than cichlid/tropical fish room which has AC vents closed and they do great . Smallest tank is 20 gallons so change in temp is gradual but it does happen every day .

Hey guys,

Thanks.

-Kyle

Awesome. Right now and mainly the reason I ask is because I do not use a heater with the neos I have now and will be trying CRS in the coming weeks and wanted to know if a heater is a just in case item or was necessarily needed.

Keep in mind my temps are in the neo range .  I don't know what temps you have .

If my temps were below 70 I would use a heater to stay at 72 .

The breeders here would know best but I have had great results at these temps and daily fluctuating temps 76 down to 72 .

I don't use heaters in any of my 25 tanks. It stays warm enough in my house even for angels, cut my bill in half unplugging all heaters and power filters. Now all I run in one around and one dehumidifier works fine been like that a few months now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Also how much flow should a shrimp tank have?

Its hard to describe how much flow. For me its observing the current in the tank and how the shrimp react. Some tanks can have more flow than others depending on what you have as in rocks, wood and plants that will give shrimp calmer areas and places to get out of the current.  In my tanks the flow is pretty good but my tanks are heavily planted and have big pieces of wood.

I don't use heaters in any of my 25 tanks. It stays warm enough in my house even for angels, cut my bill in half unplugging all heaters and power filters. Now all I run in one around and one dehumidifier works fine been like that a few months now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You don't use filters ?

I had a sponge filter but changed it to a regular HOB with a sponge filter attached to the tube.

I use an aquaclear with media and purigen in it. I also run an eheim 2211 canister and large hydro-sponge filter with air diffuser inside . The sponge filter gives me oxygen plus biological and mechanical filtration and if I ever experience a power outage I can run battery powered air pumps and not lose the bacteria.  All my new tanks and tanks I have to redo will have HMF and eheim with its intake behind HMF.

Oh I see , thanks .

Yea I have alot of tanks so hang on the backs were too much for me to plug in. I found alot of the times would be too much flow in the tank for them, plus add the cost of filters on top of that.

Sponge filters I used one air pump, filters run around 2.50$ initial setup. Haven't changed one in a few years and my tanks are crystal clear. Shrimp don't ever produce enough waste to need a high turnover rate and extra mechanical filtration.

Yea I have alot of tanks so hang on the backs were too much for me to plug in. I found alot of the times would be too much flow in the tank for them, plus add the cost of filters on top of that.

Sponge filters I used one air pump, filters run around 2.50$ initial setup. Haven't changed one in a few years and my tanks are crystal clear. Shrimp don't ever produce enough waste to need a high turnover rate and extra mechanical filtration.

I suspect you are big on the water changes ?

I suspect you are big on the water changes ?

Actually not at all, have tanks haven't touched in months. I do water changes when the parameters start going extreme. Only ones I do once or twice a month are fish tanks. If I'm growing out fry they get some extra attention.

After your tanks are planted and running a few years they'll take care of themselves for the most part.