Just starting a shrimp only tank and have a question

Hi all,

Experienced fish keeper but fairly new at shrimp tank setup. After looking a numerous tanks I settled on an Aqua One Reflex 26 ( 7 gallon ) because I liked the hidden equipment area for the filter, media and heater.

The tank has 2 inlets for the filter system that are covered with slotted round snap in covers that are not going to protect shrimplets from being sucked into the filter area. Any suggestions as how to modify these intakes to make them shrimp safe? Also the bottom intake is very hard to get to and will be difficult to remove to clean but that's my problem.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

If those snap covers pop off you can wrap a mesh from a media bag over it and snap it back in, you should be in the clear.  You might have to mess around with the different sizes to get the flow right.  Some one may know what size shrimplets are and what size pore you need for the media bag.

Get some fine black sponge and slice it like a carrot then cut to shape, size to fit snuggly into that cover. I looked up your tank online to see what your refering I too have problems getting shrimplets sucked in to the back filter compartent of my Fluval desk-top 2.6g and have actually lived in this compartment. I just take my fish only turkey baster and suck them out and put them back where they belong! I wouldn't worry too much about this but do check your flow rate before adding in shrimp as it could be like a whirlpool for them!

If the intakes are traditional, meaning nothing out of the ordinary, I would definitely go with Stainless Steel Filter Guards for your intakes.