Shrimps & their Trace Elements Requirement

shrimpytrade

Hi All,

Have prepared a small write up regarding the requirement of trace elements for shrimps.

Ulli Bauer have helped me a lot in finalizing it.

Please go through the document once you have time.

If any one have any valid points to add please let me know, I will add it into the document and acknowledgment will be given to you.

https://shrimpytrade.wordpress.com/2015/12/10/shrimps-their-trace-elements-requirement/

Are there products, foods, techniques, methods, tips on how we can get these elements to our shrimp without negatively affecting water quality and shrimp health. Way to many products on the market all claiming to to be the cure all and all these products are expensive.  I have been keeping fish for almost 40 years never seen so many different foods and products flooding a market for such a small niche.

True Viper, I also accept your point of view that in the small niche only there are some many product range that it makes a user more confused. What I feel, that normal fish keeping market is saturated and hobbyist are looking for newer things, that is one of the prime reason you can see so many old manufacturers and new manufacturer are coming into this shrimp keeping market sensing business opportunity and noticeable growth opportunity. 

Regarding what I follow - I still do things same old school way and the generally don't try out multiple products at a same time.
For example if one of my tank is running through SL Aqua way, I dont mix any other product in that. And if one tank is running on mosura I keep just mosura products there.

True Viper, I also accept your point of view that in the small niche only there are some many product range that it makes a user more confused. What I feel, that normal fish keeping market is saturated and hobbyist are looking for newer things, that is one of the prime reason you can see so many old manufacturers and new manufacturer are coming into this shrimp keeping market sensing business opportunity and noticeable growth opportunity. 

Regarding what I follow - I still do things same old school way and the generally don't try out multiple products at a same time.

For example if one of my tank is running through SL Aqua way, I dont mix any other product in that. And if one tank is running on mosura I keep just mosura products there.

Great advice . Thank you.

I'm a biochemist and work in a lab. I'm going to be a little critical and to me your write up is basically the biological and chemical definitions of the various elements listed.

Replace it with fish or other aquatic microorganisms, they will need basically quite similar elements just in different concentrations and maybe a few more trace elements such as molybdenum and cobalt.

I think your writing could be more specific to shrimps, and include concentrations but that would require some lab analyses I suppose. Just my honest opinion.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Do you have references explaining how calcium plays a role in hemolymph coagulation? My googlefu is weak, but literally the first thing I found was that "coagulation in crustaceans is not well understood" and the second, that coagulation was triggered by the presence of lipopolysaccharides. As a side note, I wonder if that means that invertebrates have a better defense against gram negative bacteria (that have LPS on the outer layer of the cell wall) than gram positive, or if I just didn't find the paper on hemolymph and whatever component of gram positive bacteria causes coagulation. Or if it simply hasn't been identified, or if I misread things and there are enough LPS to trigger the response. (Yeah, past sleepy time for me. You probably didn't want a discussion of the innate immune system. Or gram negative vs. gram positive cell walls. Did you know that some cell walls actually fall into neither category?)

Calcium is necessary for the clotting cascade in the blood of vertebrates; however, I was unable to quickly find documentation that the same physiological pathways are used in hemolymph.

I'm a biochemist and work in a lab. I'm going to be a little critical and to me your write up is basically the biological and chemical definitions of the various elements listed.

Replace it with fish or other aquatic microorganisms, they will need basically quite similar elements just in different concentrations and maybe a few more trace elements such as molybdenum and cobalt.

I think your writing could be more specific to shrimps, and include concentrations but that would require some lab analyses I suppose. Just my honest opinion.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Thank you Ashley for the heads up. I am not from biology background but have some friends who are biochemist.

One day I asked myself a question why I need to spend so much amount of getting trace elements for the shrimps, browsed contacted Ulli and came up with this document.

Can you please help me or guide me how to do the lab analysis, you can drop me a pm and I will ask my friends who are from bio background to do the required thing.

Please note I am not planning to introduce or manufacture any new trace element in the market, I want to answer myself and some of my friends why we need to spend of trace elements.

Do you have references explaining how calcium plays a role in hemolymph coagulation? My googlefu is weak, but literally the first thing I found was that "coagulation in crustaceans is not well understood" and the second, that coagulation was triggered by the presence of lipopolysaccharides. As a side note, I wonder if that means that invertebrates have a better defense against gram negative bacteria (that have LPS on the outer layer of the cell wall) than gram positive, or if I just didn't find the paper on hemolymph and whatever component of gram positive bacteria causes coagulation. Or if it simply hasn't been identified, or if I misread things and there are enough LPS to trigger the response. (Yeah, past sleepy time for me. You probably didn't want a discussion of the innate immune system. Or gram negative vs. gram positive cell walls. Did you know that some cell walls actually fall into neither category?)

Calcium is necessary for the clotting cascade in the blood of vertebrates; however, I was unable to quickly find documentation that the same physiological pathways are used in hemolymph.

Okay first things first, I never said I didnt wanted any discussion of anything where I can gain more knowledge :)

Do remember the purpose of creating this article - to answer myself why we need to spend on trace elements. I am not at all from biology background (infact I am from management and statistics background) so my knowledge will be any day inferior than people who have experience in that field.

So I think if you think something is wrong, requires editing or to be added do let me know I will do it accordingly.

Sarcasm we can may be keep aside as of now! :rock: