Aspiring Shrimpkeeper in WV

Water7

Greetings everyone,

I found this site yesterday through a Google search, and I am happy to be able to join! I'm a member of The Planted Tank and it's nice to see some familiar names over here. Hi Mosspearl, Ravensgate, Soothing Shrimp, and Ksoscia! :)

I do not yet have any shrimp, only the little hitchhiker snails that came with some of my plants. However, I am hoping to get some red cherries. I have two tanks--a 20 long with two platys and some small guppies, and a 29 with 2 juvi angelfish. I am considering the possibility of moving the platys out and putting shrimp in the 20 long, simply because our house is small and it is hard to find a place to set up my 10 gallon tank just for shrimp. (My husband isn't quite as much into tanks as I am, plus I have two little kids so most places are off limits!) Also, the more tanks, the more maintenance, and I find with this hobby it's easy to bite off more than I can chew! 

Years ago I had ghost shrimp for a while and I loved them. I enjoyed how they would glide about the tank. Do neocaridina shrimp swim around, or hang under the water surface, or do they tend to stay more on the substrate? Most of the pictures I see of cherries show them on the substrate, but maybe that is because a lot of shrimp tanks are not heavily planted. I'd love to know.

Although I won't have much to contribute here, not being experienced, I look forward to learning from your experiences!

Welcome!  I am glad this site is showing up on google now and feel free to tell your friends ;).  Shrimp don't typically swim around to much unless a female just molted and is ready to mate or you just fed them and they are looking for food.  They do crawl all over every surface of the tank though.  I think they are often seen on the substrate because it is the largest surface area in most tanks and contains the most biofilm or other food for them.  Mine are all over the moss, wood, sponge filter (they really like those) and the substrate. 

Hi and welcome! It didn't take long to get me obsessed. I got my first shrimp from Soothing and I've been hooked ever since. They are fascinating creatures. :) Watch out... they are enablers of the worst kind! :lol: My biggest problem is where does the next tank go. I know how it is with toddlers... had them for years. But they do eventually grow out of that stage, so you can always plan for the future.

The thing I learned: I wanted a gorgeous tank and shrimp. Then I couldn't see my shrimp because they had too many places to hide. :unsure: So now I have less decorations and plants and more space. I still have enough greenery to keep me happy, and the shrimp still hide somewhat :angry:, but we've reached a happy medium.

Thank you all for the welcomes! Toni,  I appreciate your advice regarding not planting your shrimp tank too densely. That is the problem with my 20 long. It is full of vals and stem plants. The worst of it is, though, this entails a lot of pulling and replanting, and clouds arising from the substrate which I'm sure would not be good for shrimp. Not to mention the fertilizer and DIY CO2. And my other tank is angelfish so that would not be a good idea either. So at the moment, I don't think I have a very good place for shrimp. But yes, as you said, one can think about the possibilities for the future!