Seeding filter with biomedia from a different tank

I seeded a HOB filter with biomedia that came from a pH 7.4, GH 10, kH 7, TDS 250 tank. I want to use it in a new CRS tank that will probably end up having a pH in low 6's, GH 4, kH 2 and I don't know what the TDS will be but something below 150 I think.

Will my bacteria survive the move? Or did I do this all for nothing? I don't have the CRS yet and won't be here for another 3 weeks.

I don't think that will be a problem as the media contains biofilm and as far as I know doesn't contain PH or anything else.

Ive moved biomedia from tank to tank before with no problem (just did it recently)  As long as you don't rinse out any floss or those ceramic ring things and just keep them in the water from the old tank until you get them to the new one, the bacteria should still be alive.  It will die if you take it out and leave it or rinse it off in new tank water.

I always take some tank water and dump the floss/ceramic rings/cholla wood into it before I move it over to a new tank, keeping it covered with the water, so it doesn't dry out.

I wondered about this also, I recently set up a tenner (that was active sub & pH 5.3) and used a seeded sponge from a inert tank sitting around pH 7.2.  With all the tank about low pH tanks taking longer to cycle, some have implied that the bacteria may die off or take time to acclimate.

The tank passed an ammonia challenge prior to addition of shrimp and demonstrated nitrogen cycling afterward.  This was just my own experience.....I would love to know if someone can answer definitively that beneficial bacteria can survive sudden environmental pH change.

Get your tank going with the seeded media and some R/O or distilled water, it can't hurt. It's clear to me that even in drastic pH swings, a cycled tank will never become "uncycled," so why should moving the bacteria between different pHs be any different? Most of the bacteria responsible for biofiltration are very, very hardy, and can handle major fluctuations in temp, pH, ammonia, etc. The worst that will happen is some of the bacteria will die and create more food for the other and new bacteria that will colonize your filter media. I would recommend to just do it soon and give it a full three weeks cycling period anyway since you have the time!

Yes!  Moved the HOB last weekend after Xmas and that will give it about 3 weeks time to adjust to the new water conditions before the shrimp show up.  Since the tank set up is new (it's a 8 gal tank) I put in some hasbrosus corys just to keep something eating and pooping in there to feed the filter.  I will take out the corys before I put the shrimp in as I hear they might actually eat baby shrimp.  I will monitor the water parameters during the next three weeks just to make sure all is well.  I also added a simple aquascape with boiled spiderwood and plants, plus I put in some cholla wood and leaves to get some biofilm started.  Can't wait for the shrimp to show up!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't agree that bacteria on a seeded filter can survive a totally different ph and temp change, I seeded a double sponge filter in a community tank for 10 weeks the tank was running 2 years, I transferred it to a Taiwan bee f1 tank , ro salty shrimp and perfect parameters , ph was 6 with active soil and the filter bacteria died, being my first and only shrimp tank it left me in a fix with high ammonia and it took 12 weeks to cycle thankfully at constant ph 6 my shrimp were fine, now with 6 tanks I run spare sponges and yes I believe in very similar water the bacteria survives but not in extremes