Reminimeralizing RO water

I am setting up a tank for CRS and CBS.  The shrimp will be sent to me in two weeks. It seems everybody uses Salty Shrimp GH+ so I bought it. I also read that the water should be GH about 4, and KH = 0 for CRS and CBS.

I added Salty Shrimp GH+ and got to GH 4 as measured by my API test kit. My new TDS meter reads about TDS 65. I figured this makes sense because each degree of GH is 17.9 so 17.9 x 4 = 71, which is close to the 65 that I got on my TDS meter.

I looked on some other sites like Discobee and they suggest a TDS of 100-180. How do you get to a TDS of that level when KH = 0? What do I add to my water to get to a TDS that high?  I must be missing something here.

I am setting up a tank for CRS and CBS.  The shrimp will be sent to me in two weeks. It seems everybody uses Salty Shrimp GH+ so I bought it. I also read that the water should be GH about 4, and KH = 0 for CRS and CBS.

I added Salty Shrimp GH+ and got to GH 4 as measured by my API test kit. My new TDS meter reads about TDS 65. I figured this makes sense because each degree of GH is 17.9 so 17.9 x 4 = 71, which is close to the 65 that I got on my TDS meter.

I looked on some other sites like Discobee and they suggest a TDS of 100-180. How do you get to a TDS of that level when KH = 0? What do I add to my water to get to a TDS that high?  I must be missing something here.

I will use Mosura TDS Up. http://www.theshrimptank.com/water-conditioners/mosura-tds-up-40gm/

Thank you!

So every person using RO or RO/DI water must be adding something (like Mosura TDS up) in order to take their TDS level up high enough for Caridina shrimp?  I read a number of threads about remineralization and I am surprised hardly anybody mentions that the TDS will end up too low at GH 4 and therefore you need to add something else to take it back up to 100-180.

OK - I think I get it now.

Seems that the TDS will depend on what product you add to increase the GH.  Salty Shrimp GH+ is "less dirty" compared to other products so it'll take up the GH but the TDS will rise less than if I used other products.

I will add more Salty Shrimp GH+ and take my GH up to 6 (currently 4) just to get the TDS up higher.

I was not planning on adding anything else to the tank (no fertilizers of any kind) if I can get up to TDS 120 just with Salty Shrimp.  If needed, I also have EI fertilizers and can carefully add some micronutrient solution just to get the TDS up a little higher.  I realize that evaporation and other organics can also increase TDS over time so I'll be careful.

Wow!  GH of 3?  Lower than I thought.  Good to know.

Is there any "bible" of shrimp water quality that I should read?  Water quality is such an important factor and hard to set up a tank without getting into it.  Remineralization was a whole academic exercise in itself and navigating all the brands is something I have barely scratched the surface. Seems all overwhelming at times and I haven't even gotten to the foods!

Wow!  GH of 3?  Lower than I thought.  Good to know.

Is there any "bible" of shrimp water quality that I should read?  Water quality is such an important factor and hard to set up a tank without getting into it.  Remineralization was a whole academic exercise in itself and navigating all the brands is something I have barely scratched the surface. Seems all overwhelming at times and I haven't even gotten to the foods!

I set this up a while back. I havent updated parameters in a few months. 

http://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/17030569-shrimp-water-parameters

I try to update them from time to time as we learn more.