I know nothing about CO2

Vpier

I purchased this co2 regulator

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/300228662982

I bought my 5 lb co2 tank from a local welding supply shop for 60 bucks. It costs 11 to fill which I haven't done yet because it has been going strong for 2 months now.

Everything else like the diffuser and the co2 tubing I bought off amazon. Which came out to another 20 dollars.

As far as the regulator goes I haven't had a problem with it. It's easy to adjust and stays on point with no fluctuations with the amount released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f2e4ee428c1adb36b9d721efeed4223b.jpg

This is my set up; asa paintball valve with a Parker needle valve and a regular airline adjuster, both as a breakaway point and for fine-tune adjustments.

I've seen many arguments against this setup with the needle valve being not adjustable enough, the paintball tanks being too much of a hassle to refill, but it depends on your situation.

My brother gave up on paintball and we have a lot of places around here that will fill your tanks for cheap, and I'm only giving co2 to a 5 gal. This set up cost me about $20 to set up, $3 to refill

If you do want to go with an actual regulator, I've heard good things about aquatek regulators, and both the paintball and basic regulator run for about $90 on eBay and Amazon.

With CO2 Systems, you get what you pay.

DIY CO2 gives very inaccurate CO2 output.

If you plan on getting a regulator, I recommend GLA because of their super duper awesome warranty.

• GLA MINI-series regulators are covered under a 10 year warranty.
  • GLA GRO-series regulators are covered under a 3 year warranty.
  • GLA Pro-series regulators are covered under a 6 year warranty.

I don't know any other company that gives this long warranty.

Thanks guys. I have no idea what to get.  Looking for a complete system out there for CO2 dummies like me but dont want to break the bank. I love planted tanks but GLA stuff is going to put to big of a dent on my shrimp budget.

Hey Steve R.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU !!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys. I have no idea what to get.  Looking for a complete system out there for CO2 dummies like me but dont want to break the bank. I love planted tanks but GLA stuff is going to put to big of a dent on my shrimp budget.

Hey Steve R.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU !!!!!!!!!

Honestly, most of the budget will go towards your regulator, and I would recommend something that is fairly accurate(less dialing in). What is your budget for your whole co2 setup? You can get a Milwaukee regulator or a Co2 Art regulator which are less expensive compared to GLA. I think the Milwaukee reg comes with a drop checker so you'll save some cash there.  After that, the only big ticket items will be the tank and diffuser.

Saw this today and it's similar to what I was referring to:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AquaSwap/comments/3ypy7m/fs_selling_dualvalve_co2_setup_and_solenoid/

Tank: http://rapidswholesale.com/aluminum-co2-cylinder-5-lbs.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA4rujBRDD7IG_wOPytXkSJACTMkga1nXFlcCVXXKJ0TnmHU825D0k_fbP2sEIcdVyLYUi2BoCQZbw_wcB

Reg: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-MA957-Dual-Valve-Adjustable/dp/B002P39I8U

Honestly, most of the budget will go towards your regulator, and I would recommend something that is fairly accurate(less dialing in). What is your budget for your whole co2 setup? You can get a Milwaukee regulator or a Co2 Art regulator which are less expensive compared to GLA. I think the Milwaukee reg comes with a drop checker so you'll save some cash there.  After that, the only big ticket items will be the tank and diffuser.

Saw this today and it's similar to what I was referring to:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AquaSwap/comments/3ypy7m/fs_selling_dualvalve_co2_setup_and_solenoid/

Tank: http://rapidswholesale.com/aluminum-co2-cylinder-5-lbs.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA4rujBRDD7IG_wOPytXkSJACTMkga1nXFlcCVXXKJ0TnmHU825D0k_fbP2sEIcdVyLYUi2BoCQZbw_wcB

Reg: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-MA957-Dual-Valve-Adjustable/dp/B002P39I8U

Thanks. I will look into the Milwaukee.

• 5 weeks later...

A lot of people dislike Milwaukee compared to higher end regulators like GLA but I think they're reasonable for a first co2 system.  If you don't need pin point accuracy and you're just looking for something that works, I would recommend Milwaukee as well.  I have 3 of them on low tech to high tech tanks, been using them for over 8 years.  No problems yet, but the needle valve isn't that accurate and will require some fiddling every once in a while.  Or maybe I'm using it incorrectly...

My first (and only) co2 setup was a very diy, I was using yeast bottles. basic, but if you kept an eye on it it worked great, my plants grew like weeds. And that became a problem due to me having done this to a 38gal tall, and boy was it hard to prune. So not doing that again in a tank that is as tall as my arm is long.

=^._.^=

Does this have a good needle vavle? Is it precise?

Yea works good for me, once it's set usually stays that way other than minor adjustments. I could never figure out the hype of the expensive ones. I've had them and they work the same as the others.

I 100% believe that buying a used regulator on ebay and building your own is the best and most economical.  You can get a decent dual stage reg for 45-60. Then if you go all brass it keeps its really economical.  Just requires a bit of research.  If you want to go down this route and need some advice or info let me know I'd be glad to help.  I knew jack all about CO2 and regulators and was able to piece a nice system together.  Mine came out to be quite expensive but I opted for stainless steel for aesthetics.

I think with brass you can get a top of the line setup for ballpark $200 if you dont get lucky on ebay and much less if you do.

I 100% believe that buying a used regulator on ebay and building your own is the best and most economical.  You can get a decent dual stage reg for 45-60. Then if you go all brass it keeps its really economical.  Just requires a bit of research.  If you want to go down this route and need some advice or info let me know I'd be glad to help.  I knew jack all about CO2 and regulators and was able to piece a nice system together.  Mine came out to be quite expensive but I opted for stainless steel for aesthetics.

I think with brass you can get a top of the line setup for ballpark $200 if you dont get lucky on ebay and much less if you do.

Thanks. If I decide to go that route I will contact you :thumbsu: