Any advice welcome...please

Sprice

Hey there, I am very new to the world of shrimp keeping but am already finding the preparation addictive! I haven't even got the shrimp yet. I bought my 15l tank about two months ago and have been cycling (fishlessly) since. I had a bit of a bacterial bloom about a month ago and now I think the tank has finished cycling. I tested my parameters today and they came out as follows;

PH 8 (consistantly 8 from start)

NH3 0

NO2 0

NO3 0.25

KH 8

GH 12

Temp 24c

I really want to invest in around 10 A-C Black bee shrimps but obviously want to make sure everything is just right for them before introducing them to the tank.

I have a couple of small Anubias and a couple of small jave ferns and some moss balls and some redwood.

I realise my PHKH and GH are way off for black bees. I have today added (started to add gradually) some Aqualibrium salt and also ordered some almond leaves to try and soften the water a bit. I also ordered some triangle moss mats today to create a little shrimp stage at the front.

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give to a complete noob, specifically what I should do about thePH, KH and GH levels. I'm so excited but really want to try and get it right first time. Thank you in advance 

Sally

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thank you, I have just started reading about RO and strangely enough found a shop down the road today that sells it. Should I just use that everytime I do a PWC? Also will that ultimately help to lower the PH and keep it consistent? Thanks for the advice :)

The substrate I have is what came with the (cough, cough) biorb :( I know they're rubbish but I was silly and started my research after I'd bought it :( Can I replace it with buffering substrate or use it alongside?

Ah yeah that would make more sense to do 100%. I'm concerned about being able to use shrimp substrate with a biorb halo? Could I keep the original substrate and use shrimp substrate on top? Also when I set it up with the original substrate it says to remove any pieces that were smaller than a pea?

http://www.biorb.co.uk/en-gb/shop/aquariums/halo/biorb-halo-15-mcr/

I thought that might be the case. I just need some substrate that's relatively big in size, also I could put some tights round the filter. I think I'm going to buy RO water for now and then see how I get on then maybe invest in a unit in the future.

We have some members who have not ventured into getting shrimp yet, but enjoy the friendships here.  We also have the fish section here, not to mention when you feel you want to sell some of your fish we have the market section here, too.

Stick around, we're glad to have ya. :)