Diy solution to correct GH

Saraiva

• 2 weeks later...

Lower it - Use RO

Raise it - add a remineralizer like salty shrimp GH+ or Calcium carbonate (I think that's the right calcium)

Be careful, calcium carbonate will also raise your alkalinity (KH) quickly. I supposed if you made a separate higher GH solution using the calcium carbonate, then added acid (ph down, seachem acid buffer, HCl, etc) to it, it would neutralize the carbonate and you would have a GH raising solution. But make sure your pH is correct.

Be careful, calcium carbonate will also raise your alkalinity (KH) quickly. I supposed if you made a separate higher GH solution using the calcium carbonate, then added acid (ph down, seachem acid buffer, HCl, etc) to it, it would neutralize the carbonate and you would have a GH raising solution. But make sure your pH is correct.

Yeah, as indicated.. wasn't sure I had the correct Calcium <whatever other word goes here>

Yeah, as indicated.. wasn't sure I had the correct Calcium <whatever>

If you're not worried about pH spike, then calcium hydroxide (lime). You can try cuddlefish bone or crushed shells to slowly raise it without much effect on pH.

Calcium chloride will not raise PH. You're correct about the calcium carbonate. Calcium bicarbonate (baking soda) will also raise PH. Both raise TDS and increase KH.

When you dissolve or add more materials into the water the TDS will also raise.

• 4 weeks later...

You could also make a solution of 1 part epsdom salt to 4 parts calcium chloride (1 tsp to 4 tsps). I use the CaCL2 powder from our hot tub. Add enough solution to get the tds to the level you want.

I don't think mixing 4:1 by volume would give you the correct 4:1 cal:mag ppm

I don't think mixing 4:1 by volume would give you the correct 4:1 cal:mag ppm

It might not be exact, but for neos it works fine.  I add enough to raise tds to about 250 and shrimp are growing, molting and breeding very well.

Is this the post you are talking about? http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3406-experience-using-seachem-equilibrium-n-nutrafin-african-cichlid-conditioners-to-boost-gh/page-2

Rev had his own forum too, and was very knowledgeable.  Wish we had him here again, but forums get very time consuming to run.