Caridina vs Neocaridina

As the genus of each suggests, these animals are very similar. One difference between the two is the morphology of the second pleopod (see below). Pleopods are five symmetrical sets of two appendages (aka. swimmerettes) extending from the their first 5 abdominal somites. However, caridina's second pleopod has a ciliated endopod (inner arm) while neocardina's has a clubbed endopod. Another difference is the length of the rostrom ("nose") and peduncle ("chin"), Caridina having the shorter set. Species of each can vary in these parameters and well as size, etc. However, this generally is true for N. davidi (cherries) vs. C. cantonensis (crystals/bees).

shrimpmorphology.jpg?w=504&h=321

Are you asking for physical features, or a comparison in water parameters?

Both, really. But water parameters would be more useful.

Maybe this will help?

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Shrimp/

That was a pretty interesting read! Thanks!

As the genus of each suggests, these animals are very similar. One difference between the two is the morphology of the second pleopod (see below). Pleopods are five symmetrical sets of two appendages (aka. swimmerettes) extending from the their first 5 abdominal somites. However, caridina's second pleopod has a ciliated endopod (inner arm) while neocardina's has a clubbed endopod. Another difference is the length of the rostrom ("nose") and peduncle ("chin"), Caridina having the shorter set. Species of each can vary in these parameters and well as size, etc. However, this generally is true for N. davidi (cherries) vs. C. cantonensis (crystals/bees).

shrimpmorphology.jpg?w=504&h=321

That was an unexpected amount of detail.

I actually came across this website http://www.planetinverts.comwhich i've spent most of my classes browsing. I'm still new to shrimps so anything i find is practically new to me