Has anyone here developed their own strain?

I did....couple of years ago now.  I called them BENGALS.  It started as a mistake. I had divided my 20 gallon long tank into 3 sections with foam inserted in each section to provide for biofilm.  In one I had red tigers, in another I had black.OETs, and the 3rd section had Tangerine Tigers (was keeping it as a Tiger tank)   My foam was all the way to the surface, but one morning I noticed I had a tangerine tiger in the red tiger section.  I scooped it up and put it back in its own section, but the next am it was back and one of my red gals was berried.   I found out by watching the TTs that they were climbing up the foam and over the top (out of the water) to get into the other areas...even found them in with the blacks.

I couldn't keep them out, so eventually I moved the blacks out and left the TTs with the red tigers to see what would come out of this mix.  1st generation looked like the zebra pintos....brownish looking shrimp with 5 white bands on the body....not nice at all.  I left them all in the tank and forgot about them!

When I finally checked again on them I noticed I had a few orange shrimps with white and black stripes...not TTs.  I pulled out all the ones that looked like this (25 of them) and put them in a tank by themselves.  By the 3rd generation they were all like this .  I know its not long enough to say its a definite strain but they were reproducing exactly the same each time.  I called them Bengals because they looked like the Bengal Tiger!

I finally sold them to another hobbyist but he didn't continue with this line and Ive lost touch with him. 

here's a pic of them2ev68nt.jpg

Bryce are you looking for a new creation completely? Like the Steel Blue, or Bengals shown above? Or simply something similar to my long time experiment of creating my own line of Zebra Pintos from scratch?

@monty I've recently tried crossing red and TT tiger as I was inspired by previous pics I saw of your bengals. Unfortunately, my result was some offspring that looked like regular tigers, not orange at all and with black stripes. I am going to try again though i think.

Deta, for the purposes of this thread- anything goes.  :D Have you made your own strain, or managed to make better something that exists?

• If you've re-created your own TBs or other shrimp, let's hear about it! 

• If you've created a new purple caridina strain or working on a line, lets hear about it.

• Heck, even as an example- if you started with a low grade cherry shrimp, and now have worked your breeding program up to painted- let's hear about that too! :)

I'd like for this thread to inspire others!

:rock:  :rock:  :rock:

adrand, don't give up on them yet....put the parents back in the same tank and let nature take its course.  As I mentioned F1s were ugly looking things that didn't even resemble a tiger, more a wild shrimp. I just left them all together along with the Red Tigers and TTs and then these unique colored ones started popping up in the F3 generation....from then on it didn't change....they all came out the same.    Leave yours be and just watch what comes out of the pot...it sometimes takes a couple of generations before you see anything that looks good....but it will happen. That's how we have Pintos and spotted headed Mischlings today.

adrand, don't give up on them yet....put the parents back in the same tank and let nature take its course. As I mentioned F1s were ugly looking things that didn't even resemble a tiger, more a wild shrimp. I just left them all together along with the Red Tigers and TTs and then these unique colored ones started popping up in the F3 generation....from then on it didn't change....they all came out the same. Leave yours be and just watch what comes out of the pot...it sometimes takes a couple of generations before you see anything that looks good....but it will happen. That's how we have Pintos and spotted headed Mischlings today.

At risk of sidetracking this thread I wanted to share a pic of the offspring i got. You can see it doesnt have the color of TTs and has black stripes instead of the black dots of the TTs. One is already berried but it was in a tank of TTs and red tigers so no clue of what to expect. I will keep pushing this monty and hopefully revive the bengals!

BTW Great thread idea Soothing. I hope alot of people share their experiences.

61beb8b779691b3153dde56d371773ef.jpg

I would just see what she pops out. She's unique looking that's for sure.  Someone else a few years back on another forum had something similar happen with TT x CRS and they got crystal white bees popping up, so that would be a real plus if you got some of those.  Cross them on BKK and get a Blue Jelly!  Anything can pop up with hybrids.