plant weights

They say they're aquarium safe and i have one in a tank and see no ill effects, but just wanted to see if anyone else uses them. I'm planning to use some plastic knitting sheets to tie moss to but since they float i was gonna use the weights to keep them down.

You could always just use the stainless steel mesh. That way you do not have to purchase or make these lead weights.

I always found that ss mesh was overpriced. From what I've found they're always around $1 for a square inch. I already have the plastic mesh and plants weights sitting in a box figured i could try growing some moss on them.

• 2 weeks later...

They say they're aquarium safe and i have one in a tank and see no ill effects, but just wanted to see if anyone else uses them. I'm planning to use some plastic knitting sheets to tie moss to but since they float i was gonna use the weights to keep them down.

Depending on what kind of material it is. 

Stainless steel or ceramix is safe, since it won't rust, won't affect water. I only use stainless steel mesh to weight down moss, riccia, those no root plants, or dwarf baby tear, those tiny plants, creating carpet. All other rooted plant, I'd prefer to plant them into soil. That gives plant more room to grow healthy and flourish. r1.JPGphoto+2.JPGhc%2Bmat.JPGanchor%2Bmos%2Bmat.JPG

I use bullet weights wire (comes on a coil, only 5 or 6 bucks on Amazon). I just cut off sections as needed, far more cost efficient than those marketed to aquarists. It is slightly more difficult to work with, though, I'm more apt to accidentally break stems as I wrap it around.