Thoughts on CO2 and Taiwan Bees

NeMox69x

So I have BKK , extreme blue bolts and possibly getting some wine reds and have the option to pick up a 5lb system for cheap and curious to how you guys feel about it. I would probably do one bubble per second or so and its a 8.6 gallon. Probably run it for 6-8 hours a day (maybe less). Currently using excel to help my mini pellia and bucephalandras grow better. They grew good in just the lighting but curious to how this would effect them. I've had co2 before so I know how to work it just not sure.

Overall with shrimp and CO2 I would say it is a challenge and it would certainly help if you are well experienced with high-tech planted aquariums. I say this because of the fluctuating water parameters, it can be difficult to keep stabilized. People have kept shrimp perfectly fine with CO2 and even fewer of those people kept them where they thrived and reproduced. The challenge is up to you but with TBs I wouldn't recommend it, just simply because if you make a mistake it will be much more costly then a handful of neos.

I have done the high tech tanks before I made the switch to shrimp. I might just go the route with a splash of excel twice a week with some flourish. I don't have a heavy bio load so my plants aren't growing as fast as I'd like. I figured co2 would help more than excel but it's more costly for me since the tank is so small.

I originally wasn't using anything because I have higher light (finnex 24/7 on a 8.6 gallon tank that's 11"tall for 8 hours a day) but I noticed once I added some excel and flourish my mini Pellia is growing much faster and buces shooting out new leaves every 7-10 days.

They should do fine at that bps, but it is a risky I stopped running co2 on my delicate shrimp tanks because of that. If you have enough surface agitation your ph swings won't be as drastic and your params will stay in check.

I run CO2 with my TB.  I have a bredder box that has air going through it 24/7 and my CO2 is at a bare minimum.  I run my CO2 at around 1 bubble per 2-3 seconds.  At night I have an air powered filter turn on ontop of the air powered breeder box.  

A few things I have to say.

1) I have very low repruction currently.  Not sure if that is because of CO2, shrimp still juvenile, or winter months where breeding is low.

2) My babies in the breeder box have a very high survival rate.

3) My baby tears are growing but at a very very slow rate and I do not see any pearling.  I imagine my CO2 in the water is very low but the baby tears have not died so I guess it is a good balance between too much CO2 for the shrimp and not enough for the baby tears. 

I will know more come spring if the reproduction will pick up.  If not, I am going to stop CO2 and pull the baby tears and put something else that is low maintence in.

I started this porject with a dream to have a very medium-high lush show tank for my TB.  I am starting to think that it was a fools dream, I can't pump the water with enough nutrients and CO2 to get good growth so my baby tears kind of look like a patchy mess even though it isn't dieing it's just not really spreading like I would of liked it to.

I think the best tanks for TB should be low to medium-low tanks with no CO2 no nutrients and slow growing plants that will grow in nicely over the course of years.  

In my experience water changes get shrimp breeding. Been in shrimp a few years now and have tried in four tanks different ways of maintenance and every time I stop doing weekly water changes my breeding reduced or stop completely. I know others have had results not changing water but for me regardless of the tank size ( from 100gal to 7 ) or setup. Water changes are the key. And I don't remineralise or anything. Just ran straight into the tanks from three stage HMA filter with a restricted on.

Again just my experience and the 100gal tank now houses discus which are breeding like mad too