Soap/cleaning hands before reaching into tank

ibebian

Hi all,

I'm curious what folks here do when cleaning their hands before reaching into their tank. If I don't feel like they're dirty, I just rinse my hands under warm water to remove oils, but otherwise I use a tiny bit of foaming hand soap (which is scented). I'm thinking about switching to an unscented soap such as this, but I'm unsure of whether the natural oils would affect anything negatively, vs. regular soap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033RKTFI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2UDNPGKURPVSY.

How do you all handle cleaning hands when you need to get them submersed into your tank? Do you have a tried and true method/soap that you find works well with sensitive shrimp?

Hi all,

I'm curious what folks here do when cleaning their hands before reaching into their tank. If I don't feel like they're dirty, I just rinse my hands under warm water to remove oils, but otherwise I use a tiny bit of foaming hand soap (which is scented). I'm thinking about switching to an unscented soap such as this, but I'm unsure of whether the natural oils would affect anything negatively, vs. regular soap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033RKTFI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2UDNPGKURPVSY.

How do you all handle cleaning hands when you need to get them submersed into your tank? Do you have a tried and true method/soap that you find works well with sensitive shrimp?

I'll wash my hands well before, then usually rinse them with a little DI or tap. But I'd recommend using tongs/forceps when reaching into your tank!

I've never washed mine before lol. Figured soap is bad for them, yea I might have something on my hands but never had issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Whether I think I have something on my hands or not, if I feel I may have my hands in the aquarium. I rinse them off with hot water and dry with a dedicated "shrimp towel". 

There are a number of unscented soap/non-soap cleansers, and I strongly support going unscented for a number of reasons, not just for the shrimp.

I have recently started using straight oils on my skin, including olive, coconut, and jojoba , and have not had an issue in my tank (10 gal). I think hexane is used to extract some oils, so if you happen to know you have cold-pressed, that is best, but that is usually only noted when you buy the oil separately.

I also use a dedicated shrimp towel, and like all my laundry, it gets a vinegar rinse after washing in unscented detergent ;)