why do my shrimps all hang out under my double sponge filter

monty703

My shrimps all seem to want to stay under the sponge filter and Im worried something is wrong with them?

Some will come out to feed but a lot of them don't move away from this area.....any thoughts?

My tank has no ammonia, PH is 6.4 so I can't think what the problem can be.

My shrimps all seem to want to stay under the sponge filter and Im worried something is wrong with them?

Some will come out to feed but a lot of them don't move away from this area.....any thoughts?

My tank has no ammonia, PH is 6.4 so I can't think what the problem can be.

Sponges trap food, would seem like a nice protective place close to a food source???

AH, maybe I will remove that filter and replace it with another type that's been seeding in my other tank, see if that affects them any.  I was also thinking of adding an HOB as well.  Its only a 10 gallon tank so maybe this would be unnecessary, what do you think.

I will try get pics today.  I have just a hood light, but its on about 12 hours a day, maybe too much is causing my algae to grow unchecked.....have to do a clean up of that too.  I keep some on the glass for the babies to eat, but it does tend to grow on my sponges and driftwood too.

I didn't change it, just added another circular sponge now.....took out some of the old catappa leaves that were disintegrating and now they are moving around the tank.  Guess once the smorgasboard was empty they had to go search for another place to eat. LOL

I see so many people's tanks with shrimps whipping around that I thought mine was lacking something....nope just got FAT shrimps!