So how did you get in there?

Pescador

I have a large Marina Breeder box set up on my TB tank. I Installed it shortly after starting the tank. For the second time now I have found a shrimp in the box that I did not put there? The first time it was a juvenile shrimp, too big to go through the intake so I am assuming it crawled up the return. I do have the plastic fry guard in place so this would not be an easy journey.

Last night I discovered a full grown shrimp in the box and I am at a loss. For a shrimp to crawl up the return and climb up the fry guard like a ladder and squeeze between the fry guard and lid to get into the breeder box almost seems impossible, yet it has happened now twice. The first time I figured was a fluke one off thing, but a second time...

Anyone else out there using the Marina Breeder box experience this and if so what have you done to prevent this from happening?

OK, this is unbelievable, the same shrimp is back in the breeder box... There must be a lot of nice biofilm in there. I am going to leave it there for a day or two and see if it decides to crawl back into the main tank on its own as it sure does not care about where I would like it.

Lol! I have seen TBs and tigers do this before between the sections of a divided tank. Very impressive, strong little guys.

It's amazing and at times funny how when we think things are shrimp proof (think baby, mouse, reptile proof) , and we are humbled by the ingenuity and determinedness of these "simple beings".  ,,,,Mike

The shrimp that keeps doing it is one of Mayphly's Psuedo Taibee's. Not only does Mayphly breed some cool looking shrimp but apparently also some super intelligent shrimp...

I am worried about trying to make the return more shrimp proof as this shrimp has been so determined it may do anything to try to get into the breeder box and end up on the floor.

I had two tanks right next each other, the tanks trim was so close that you might be able to slide a sheet of paper between the two. One tank has BTOE's and the other has RCS .I kept finding adult BTOE in the RCS and then one day I watched a BTOE crawl up the HMF that sits right under the tanks trim and out the tank and into the RCS tank. I think it was the same shrimp that kept doing that. It amazes me because shrimps dont have a brain and how this shrimp learned to do something and remember blows me away. Glass lid solved that problem.

The shrimp that keeps doing it is one of Mayphly's Psuedo Taibee's. Not only does Mayphly breed some cool looking shrimp but apparently also some super intelligent shrimp...

I am worried about trying to make the return more shrimp proof as this shrimp has been so determined it may do anything to try to get into the breeder box and end up on the floor.

I caught one of mayphly's Psuedo's crawling on the top side of the glass lid one morning and I found one dead on the floor so im constantly checking.