Improving scape

MABJ

Hey guys!

I usually consider myself a master at tank creation on a tight budget, but I was wondering if anybody had comments on this scape?

I'm about to within the next two weeks restock and revamp it a little and I'd be happy to take suggestions.

The goal was for a valley. I think it was mostly achieved. How about you guys?

Posted Image

It looks good, the only suggestion I would have is to try and move the valley so it is not centered in the tank and instead off to one side or the other.  Aim for the "golden ratio".  The "Golden Ratio" is basically the idea spacing for the focal point in your aquarium.  Here is a quick little write up I found on it that will explain it better than I can. 

Do you have CO2 on the tank?  Were you looking to add more plants or just rearrange what you have currently?

I agree with Oblong, as far as the golden ratio is concerned but overall very nice! I like the contrast the rocks have to the substrate. If you were thinking of adding plants, perhaps something low growing on each side of the valley. You could also leave the middle portion unplanted to further the valley effect.

+1 to what everyone has already suggested. Looks like you have a crypt on the right... can't tell what you have on the left. Filling in the sides would put more emphasis on the valley. If you have trims from another tank or can get some, that would work. Of course, it won't take long for that crypt to spread. With that mossy overhang, go for contrast. Anubias, crypts, etc give a nice variation in leaf compared to the moss.

Thanks guys.

The valley in the middle doesn't actually look great offset more than it is, but if you guys think it might look better, I could always 100% rescape to make it valleyless and more of an iguami scape? What do you think?

The plants are mostly crypts, but the grassy one is a plant I can't recall the name of. I'm pretty set on plants, unless someone wants to sell me more of this exact crypt? I'd be more than happy to buy some. 

I do know about the rule of thirds, thanks will :).

And about Co2, I don't do it, but that doesn't mean I won't someday. 

I did have a question as to if you guys think I should add another Archaea fixture. I'll try to put in my next post GOOD pics of my scapes, past and present. 

This is my most famous tank. It got 20,000 hits on the planted tank. It really was a beautiful burden. I'll be using the tank again someday, but I had to tear it down because the substrate wasn't right for the size of tank. 

Someday I'll stock it with something simple. 

post-39-0-07061900-1384895998_thumb.jpg

Although I just accidentally tore up the moss, this is my favorite scape I have. It really was gorgeous for about 6 months. Moss grew out of control, and I had no great means for trimming it. 

post-39-0-70089300-1384896003_thumb.jpg

This is a DECENT picture of what this tank actually looks like. Ignore my baby picture in the background lol. 

post-39-0-64450300-1384896007_thumb.jpg

Hopefully you guys can get a better feel for how it looks based on that. 

Lovely tanks! :D I especially love the moss and h. japan.

That's the problem... they keep growing! If only they would reach their peak and stay there. I'm having a similar problem with my tanks right now. They were at that point and then... they weren't. Deciding what to do with them once they've passed their peak is the hard part. Try to recreate that peak? Start over? Rescape?

I'm debating whether to get rid of a lot of plants and focus on mosses or keep my variety. I'll have to decide soon before it gets too cold to ship.

Mark My two cents is it looks great the way it is :) the one thing I personally would do is add a background to hide the can and some of the tubing. Im not very artistic or creative but the right color black, blue, tan might make the rest really pop!