Algae Problem

benny0715

The greyish, branching strands of algae is Staghorn.

The green, long strands are Spirogyra.

I haven't dealt with them first hand so I have no advice on what causes them or how to kill it.

Do some searches on how others have killed the algae.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Maybe a blackout will work?
I'm kind of surprised the excel spot treatment didn't melt your moss (or did you just dose the entire tank and not spot treat?).

In my experience, true Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis, and their cousins such as Crossocheilus reticulatus) will eat hair algae, so they might do the job? But know that any of these are just "band-aids" and are not solving the root cause of the algae growth. If the tank is small, I wouldn't recommend keeping SAE in there long term (they are social fish and should be in groups, very minimum of 3).

If you can provide us with details of your tank it may help solve the mystery. Staghorn was something I have dealt with in the past when working with a high-tech planted aquarium. Usually an imbalance somewhere between lighting intensity/duration, lack of CO2, and/or fertilizers.

How close is the light to the surface of the water? How much PAR? How many Gallons? Are you dosing any Ferts?

2 hours ago, DETAquarium said:

How close is the light to the surface of the water? How much PAR? How many Gallons? Are you dosing any Ferts?

14"X10"X10"

6 Gallons

Not sure PAR but im using Finnex Plant+ 16"

Its est. 3" above the tank

When I build the tank i placed 4 Tablets of API Root Tabs at the bottom, besides that I didnt dose any ferts. And I started to dose 2X Excel from the day I see the algae.

For the Staghorn its only happen on the right hand side moss tree and its not spreading. The big thing is the Green Hair Algae, its everywhere. 

I've had several species of Stiphodon and they did nibble on hair algae. Wasn't exactly Spirogyra though as I haven't had that particular algae. Haven't had Staghorn either, so I can't comment. Let us know if they or do or don't though!

Be cautious though, if they are scared or don't like your water, the goby may try to jump out, so keep the water 2 inches or more below the top of the tank. They prefer cooler water with higher dissolved oxygen, not so much co2 injected tanks with little surface agitation.

Thanks for following up! Did you witness the goby eating the green hair algae/Spirogyra? Even the staghorn!?

What other tank do you have that the goby could go to? 

Personally, I would relocate/rehome the goby since they really do need higher amounts of dissolved oxygen, and co2 injected tanks with minimal surface agitation just don't provide that need. Fish that are naturally from higher dissolved oxygen areas, tend to live shorter lives if kept without those higher o2 levels (doesn't need to be a high current cold river tank, but plenty of surface agitation with decent water circulation is enough). Just like another water parameter.

If you have another tank that is larger, non-co2 injected, and more surface agitation, that would be better suited to keeping the goby.

Food is another thing. Stiphodons are algae eaters, but they aren't that picky and will eat most commercial algal foods. They do love natural algae though and the microorganisms that come with it.

On 4/1/2016 at 3:17 PM, benny0715 said:

14"X10"X10"

6 Gallons

Not sure PAR but im using Finnex Plant+ 16"

Its est. 3" above the tank

When I build the tank i placed 4 Tablets of API Root Tabs at the bottom, besides that I didnt dose any ferts. And I started to dose 2X Excel from the day I see the algae.

For the Staghorn its only happen on the right hand side moss tree and its not spreading. The big thing is the Green Hair Algae, its everywhere. 

Had a similar problem on my 20L with a 30" planted+. Shortened photoperiod from 12 to 10hr, dosed excel every day, used CO2 injection, and started dosing N, P, and K (seachem) for macros as well as CSM+B for micros, as well as adding a few otos. All gone now. :]