Over sized air pump for small tank

Do you guys use an oversized air pump for your sponge filter? 

I tried out sponge filters(dual) for the first time, with a tetra 10-30 air pump but found that it was too noisy... Noticed that my pump doesn't really produce steady amount of air so it makes those gurgling sound. 

Now some people say their sponge filter are super quiet so I'm wondering if they use oversized pumps? Also watched a few videos and noticed that filter outflow is way stronger than what I had. 

Best way to use an oversized pump is by using a gang valve and bleeding out the air until you achieve the amount of air flow you need or want. If you use an airstone it will quiet the air that is being bled. Bleeding out will also relieve back pressure and increase the life span of the pumps diaphragm.

I've used a Tetra Whisper 70 on a single 10 gallon tank, just one dual sponge air filter (the smaller sized one at that) and it's quiet, even the bubbles are pretty quiet. I'm not even using a valve to control the flow, it's just full flow.

But you could use a control valve to slow down the air flow/bubbles to make it quieter. But your pump is smaller and my larger air pump is shooting full flow so...

If your airpump has two outlets, using both will have the air pump be quieter. If you have vibration coming from the air pump, put some soft under the air pump to dampen the vibrations/noise.

My air pump is really quiet, its the air bubbles that's annoying. And it barely pulls water through the sponge.

Going to try with a larger air pump to get a stronger flow.. Hopefully it'll reduce the noise. 

Also anyone tried those aquaclear Powerheads? They look perfect for sponge filters and they have venturi for extra oxygen. 

5 minutes ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

You can put the tube above the surface and as long as water flows out, it will be quieter and still work well.

I tried that but it still made those annoying gurgling noise. Not much water flows out of my filter...its mostly large air bubbles.