olliefish's Taiwan Bee Project

Hello ShrimpSpot!

As some of you may have seen, I was looking for mischlings and taiwan bees a few weeks ago. I purchased my mischlings from Onestopaquatics.com, and my Taiwan Bees from a local shrimp vendor I've bought bees from before at the March GCCA (and Neocaridinas years ago), ShrimpUSA. Well, they arrived a while ago, and I've had my first berried female! Here's the types of shrimp I have in my 11.4 gallon tank: 

12 mischlings: assorted Crystal Black, one Crystal Red, and assorted Golden Bee/Pink Bolt-looking shrimps. according to the website description, they may or may not have tiger genes ("pinto mischlings") 

5 Taiwan Bees: Black King Kong and Panda variants

Here's the tank: 

IMG_4638.jpeg

Here's the breeding net/box: 

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/forum/18-genetics-and-selective-breeding/&do=add#

IMG_1812.JPG

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/forum/18-genetics-and-selective-breeding/&do=add#

Inside the breeding net before the first breed: 5 Black King Kong/Panda TB's (mixed sexes), two female golden bee mischlings, and one CBS mischling (HUGE shrimp, pretty sure it is a female, but could also be a male, I'm awful at sexing shrimp sometimes.) 

They were in the breeding box for about 5 days before the first female molted and became berried. Here she is (this morning) : (image didn't upload, I'll try again later) 

I'll update on how the project goes! I hope to get some pretty TB's! 

Wish me luck! 

-olliefish-

IMG_1815.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello ShrimpSpot! Here's a long-due update: 

The berried female I had about a month or so ago dropped her eggs :notfair:

I only JUST got another berried female. Thing is, I have all my taiwan bees in the breeder trap with what I THOUGHT were all my females (Golden bee/white bee mischlings) annnnnd I figured out that there was one white female mischling outside the breeder net and in the main part of the tank with other male CBS and white mischling males.  I finally figured out which of the frantically swimming shrimps was the lucky molted female, I netted and moved her to the breeding trap in hopes that she had not yet bred with a mischling male, and hoped for babies with a BKK/Panda father. Two or three hours later the female was berried, I'm hoping she bred with a taiwan bee in the breeder net but because I'm a generally unlucky person the male she bred with probably was a mischling. *sigh*