Waiting on my tank to cycle

High5's

I am normally a very patient person but... waiting on this tank to cycle is making me a little antsy in the pants. I know the longer I wait the better off I will be I the long run. I will be so happy when the day comes that the tank is ready for shrimp.

Dose that work with substrates they leech ammonia? I bought the new fluval stratum because I though it didn't leech ammonia, well it dose and it is leeching ammonia. I used additives to jump start the tank I was hoping for a 3 week cycle until I did my fist ammonia test and it went insta green on me. I want to get the ammonia down to 2 to 4 ppm and hopefully start getting conversion by my biological.

I used old sea mud bt-9 and bio plus to start the tank, I figured it would have all the bacteria and food for the bacteria. Would rising the ph and temp help get my goodies eating the baddies? My ammonia readings are 6 to 8 the tank is about 2 1/2 weeks old.

I was surfing the web one night and I came across aquascaping, it blew me away how far fish keeping had come in the 18 years I walked away from the hobby. The beauty of nature has always amazed me and I had fish tanks as a teenager and kept betta fish in to my mid 20's. Then one day it all stopped and I found new things to do, I'd say every once in a wile man I miss having a tank. The same night I found aquascaping I found out about dwarf shrimp and I fell in love after two years of reading making sure I was ready learning as much as I could. I have a tank in my house again and there are going to be shrimp in it soon. I learned all this stuff from you guys on tpt I thought it would be nice to share this, you put a lot of effort in to providing helpful information, providing quality shrimp to people who share your passions. I just want to show my apparition, the best way I know how is to share my experience with you keeping shrimp.

All what we are trying to do in this hobby is imitating mother nature and share our success and failure with others.

I always try to experiment different methods of keeping shrimp, sometimes they work sometimes not, recently I started CRS michling tank with Floramax substrate (doesn't lower PH), added dry leaves and few crushed corals, I introduced 6 shrimp into the new tank in less than a week but I fed them very, very little in order to avoid ammonia spike, you can call it Silent cycling if you want, now I have 1 berried female. I can't tell this will work until I get shrimplets that can grow to breeding size, I will not recommend this to someone asking for help starting and keeping soft water shrimp tank.

All the 6 shrimp are active and their color looks intense, here is a picture of one of them:

post-184-0-68367400-1403059584_thumb.jpg