A most complex discussion on the idea of simplifying things...

Tannin Aquatics

It seems as though not a day goes by when you don’t hear about some new product, animal or technique that "will help change the hobby forever." Crazy, modern, new things that promise to simplify and improve our hobby experience. Some are great. Some add to the complications we already deal with in the hobby. Complication. Complexity. These are kind of "old school" philosophies, if you ask me. For some reason, many of us in the hobby seem mired in the past, with a “more complicated must be better” philosophy. (You've probably heard me rant on this before. In fact, I'm sure you have.)

IMG_4243_large.JPG?v=1473169243

To this end, we often equip our systems with tons of gadgetry with the intent of recreating the natural environment., and employ complex, militant protocols to keep the environment within a precise range. 

13211033_10153666746795835_1613520153_o_

However, lately, I find myself turning to (and preaching) a more disciplined, yet simplified approach to aquarium keeping. (click to read more)

I also have often wondered why some people got involved in fish keeping since their real enthusiasm seems to be for highly technical *gadgets* rather than fish.  There have been some journals (not on this site) where I kept wondering where the fish were when there was picture after picture of equipment.  I had a folk music friend many years ago who divided the world into Scruggs pickers and Flatt pickers - creative/artistic vs. technical.  (This might be in reverse as I honestly don't remember which was which!)

I guess I sometimes come off a bit "negative-sounding" on the topic, but I see a fair number of "hobbyists" who have utilized these "technical crutches" as a means to avoid the necessary learning and perfecting of husbandry, knowledge of systems, and general pleasures of managing a tank. There seems to be a form of "atrophy" taking place with some hobbyists, assuming that having all of the gadgetry helps you bypass stuff like water changes, etc....that is a recurring them, right?

I hope hobbyists continue to discover and relish the joy of simply engaging with their aquariums in a more basic way...keeping their hands wet, literally and figurative;y. THAT is where the real joy and beauty of the aquarium hobby resides, IMHO. That being said, to each his own...and thee is nothing wrong with tech...It's just when I see people failing for "unknown reasons" despite all of the gadgetry, when the reality is that the answers are right there in front of their faces, I have to wonder. Looking at a readout can augment, enhance- but never replace, the act of engaging directly with your aquarium!

-Scott