Shrimp sees us?

Soothing Shrimp

8 hours ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

(Best pirate voice.) Aye, be guessin' yer right. :-)

I still find it fascinating that they have no brains, and they don't feel pain.  The pain part is probably a good thing considering they lose body parts to predators and such.

The lack of a brain mystifies me. The have a complex nervous system that functions like a brain yet they feel no pain, weird.

I can't speak to shrimp specifically, but I know without a doubt that crayfish have brains/ganglia and nerve cords. They most definitely feel sensations, so I'm not sure where the myth about feeling no pain comes from. Perhaps it's a way for shrimp-eaters to feel better about themselves, but as far as I know it has no basis in actual science.

Yep. It is true it has been that "brains" and "pain" have been an object of debate since nerve studies have been developed.

The bodies of crustaceans are divided into segments, and there is one ganglion per segment. Each ganglion receives sensory and movement information via nerves coming from the muscles, the body wall, and appendages such as walking legs, swimmerets and mouthparts. When this information reaches the ganglion it is processed on the spot, enabling a faster response than if the message had to travel all the way up to a centralized brain and back. So they certainly react to and sense their environment by stimuli.

The debate about pain comes from how nociceptors  are interpreted in inverts as opposed to mammals.  I've seen studies on nerves from inverts theorizing they respond to sensation and not pain- so that is probably why I fall on that side of the fence.  Although in full transparency there are also studies that theorize pain may occur.  Neither way is entirely proven yet.