Mystery snails & shrimp

mosspearl

Okay, I have one. I've got several mystery snails as place holders in the tank my BBRRs are going in (they should arrive on Tuesday). Can I safely leave them in there? I know there will be competition for food, but I can scatter food. They won't cause a problem, will they? I like to watch them and this tank is on my desk.

Posted Image

Posted Image

BBRR are Blue bodied red rili right?  I don't see why you couldn't keep them.  As you said they would compete with the shrimp for food but they would also help clean up if you accidently overfed.  I could see a problem if you end up with to many snails that your water quality starts to deteriorate if you feed them the amount of food they require but I am just speculating on that. 

I really like the coloring on that purple snail!

My fear is if I got them my wife would like them so much I would have to put them in all my tanks.  I assume they would be ok with large goldfish and dojo loaches in a coldwater tank, right??

I know... I put that purple one in this tank and wow! She wasn't nearly as impressive in the 10g because all the frogbit made all the lighting look green. :P

I'm not sure on their temps, Oblong, but as long as the fish don't pick at their antennae, they seem to be happy. The applesnail site probably has info on optimum temps. The tank I have them in right now is unheated, but my computer is under it (protected by two layers of desk), so it's warmer than my 2.5g shrimp tanks. It's been staying between 68-74 degrees, but we'll see what happens when winter hits.

Nope they have never bred. Do they often spawn in people's tanks?

My problems with Mysteries are that I feed them every day and so the shrimp. I'm always wondering if the shrimp are eating too much and is it going to cause nasty bugs in the tank.

Also, if I'm feeding the Mysteries enough food. I have two in the 7.5g and had four in the 18g until recently. In the 18g, my Yellow died last month and now my big girl Chestnut did two days ago. They slowy stopped eating and I have no idea why. The other Blues are alive and eating when I feed. I don't know if it was the Blues, shrimp, not enough food, or what that caused their demise. When I found them dead, the shrimp and snails already cleaned them out.

The 7.5g, the two can't stop mating. Not a lot of young ones are making it and I'm trying to feed more. Don't know if I need to put them in another tank or try something else.

Any advise?

If you want to raise them, you might try putting them in a tank by themselves so the babies don't need to compete for food. They're pretty small when they hatch. You could easily remove the parents once the eggs are laid. I'd check your parameters to make sure the tank isn't too acidic... it's hard on the shells. Babies have softer shells already, so it wouldn't take much to eat away at it.

Good foods for mystery snails include blanched veg like zucchini, cucumber, spinach, kale, etc. They also love algae wafers, shrimp food, crab food, and just about anything else you put in the tank. I try to make sure they get fed something that gives them extra calcium at least once a week so new shell growth is strong.