Duffy's Shrimp Food Experiment

Duff0712

For awhile now I've been wanting to make my own shrimp food. I made a couple posts here about it and have gotten a lot of good ideas on what to add and use in the food. (Shoutout to Subtle Aquatics, those videos/sites are awesome!)

I wanted to start a Journal on my experiences to share, of course and so I at least have my findings somewhere safer then a small notebook that I will probably lose haha.

I probably won't start my experiments for another month or so but I have a lot of ideas of ingredients, staples and random makings.

I would love for this not only to be somewhere for me to share (whether it's successful or not) but also for this awesome communities feedback to make a better food!

One thing I've been working on at the moment is just finding a HUGE list of possible ingredients and breaking down what each gives and such.

I want to have a staple group of ingredients that will always be in the food and a couple others that would be special batches to feed once a week or so. (Which of course is on my notepad wherever it maybe)

My favorite so far is I have made a list of special ingredients for each day of the week and a special day saying haha (whether or not these ingredients work or if I will go this far is up in the air but it was fun to think of haha)

Mushroom Monday (mycelia)

Tree Tuesday (oak leaves/Indian almond)

PUFA Wednesday (salmon/tuna/tilapia)

Thursday Ruffage (spinach/romaine/cabbage)

Flora Friday (asxathan/dandelion leaves)

Saturday Squash (gourd/pumpkin/squash)

Seafood Sunday (clam/shrimp/mussel)

Couldn't think of anything better for Wednesday or Thursday haha.

Not sure how often I will update but with any new info I will definitely update this :)

-Duffy

7 types will be a lot if work. I'm sure you've thought of this already but I would start the project by making just one general purpose food and feeding it to your shrimps for a bit to make sure that you've got the basics down.

Project is exciting, I'm looking forward to reading more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What tools are you going to use? I made some using my food processor but wasn't sure about contamination since obviously I use it for regular cooking. Are you going to have to (gulp) buy new things?

Most everything I plan on doing will be powdered already or thin cut leaves. Once I have a better idea of the ingredients I'll be using I'll know for sure.

I made a batch of food for fun a few days ago of plantain leaves, stinging nettle leaves and binded it with agar agar and water. I used a mortar and pestle for the leaves and I sun dried it for a few hours.

One shrimp was all over it and didn't share but it floated so that sucked haha.

I like subtle aquatics idea of A small magic bullet and would prob be perfect for preventing contamination purposes and I am thinking about getting an inexpensive food dehydrator too. Unless something else comes up I think the dehydrator will be the only new thing (unless I end up needing the bullet/processor)

Ugh I'll need to get this stuff over the next few months haha

-Duffy

It's ok your not alone. I have to space out my purchases to. I have a tux rental, and meds I need to get this week. All out of pocket 250$.

So that means waiting until next pay day to get the rest of what I need haha.

Mushroom Monday (mycelia)

Tree Tuesday (oak leaves/Indian almond)

PUFA Wednesday (salmon/tuna/tilapia)

Thursday Ruffage (spinach/romaine/cabbage)

Flora Friday (asxathan/dandelion leaves)

Saturday Squash (gourd/pumpkin/squash)

Seafood Sunday (clam/shrimp/mussel)

If i may suggested then would be better to list the ingredient and its nutrition value so we would have everything in one place.

calcium,magnesium and protein are playing a big role IMO.

How do you go about finding the percentages of everything in a home made food. Like vitamins protein et. Etc. you have a list of everything on the back of the dry goods but your mixing so many together I would think its hard to do that unless there a calculator inline somewhere

For powder food is easy to make. Flake food easy to make. Square food easy, well with no preservatives, and used oven to basically dehydrate it was easy for me. But to make a food just like the high end ones, doesn't sound to easy to get form, and long shelf life

If you are trying out a lot of new foods, may I suggest that you only introduce one at a time so you can evaluate the effects of that food. Change too many variables at once, and if something should go wrong or simply not be to your liking, you will not know which food is the culprit.

I know that there are nutritional analyses for things like forage plants used for livestock, as well as all the various grains and hays. (People give me the funniest looks when I start talking about the calorie content of grass. Well, some of them have more protein than others!) Same goes for pretty much anything used as feed on a commercial basis. Hopefully you can find at least some of the info you are looking for!

P.S. link to seafood: http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm114223.htm

And some of the veggies: http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm114222.htm

What is a good protein percentage for an everyday food? I've seen 30-40% online but I imagine if this is going to be a frequent food then it should be more like 30?

I'll have to do some more research. Haven't had time at all lately to do much more. It seems like most the food I look at is around 30-40% like you were saying Puddles, sometimes even closer to 50%.

WOOOHOOOO finally a update after a couple days. Did some quick research on a few staple ingredients I want to add to my food. I have no problem sharing exactly what each thing is I'm planning to use (sources) but for now I am just going to post their nutritional values. If anyone wants more info, thinks the ingredient is shit, not useful, amazing, please discuss :) I plan on adding a vege or two as well (this isn't finalized) but will work from here!

1) Agar Agar: as Binder (found info for the dried version as I intend to use powder, which nutritionally is much crazier than raw)

Per 100 grams

Calories 306
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.3 g 0%
Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g 
Monounsaturated fat 0 g 
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 102 mg 4%
Potassium 1125 mg 32%
Total Carbohydrate 81 g 27%
Dietary fiber 8 g 32%
Sugar 3 g 
Protein 6 g 12%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 62% Iron 118%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 15%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 192%

2) Common "Stinging" Nettles: cut/sifted
Amount Per 100 grams
Calories 42
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.1 g 0%
Sodium 4 mg 0%
Potassium 334 mg 9%
Total Carbohydrate 7 g 2%
Dietary fiber 7 g 28%
Sugar 0.2 g 
Protein 2.7 g 5%
Vitamin A 40% Calcium 48%
Iron 8% Vitamin B-6 5%
Magnesium 14%  

3) Ocean Kelp: shredded/dried
Crude Protein......min 6.0%
Crude Fat............min 1.5%
Crude Fiber.........max 8.0%
Moisture..............max 9.0%
Ash.....................max 5.0%
Calcium (Ca)......min 1.5%
Calcium (Ca)......max 2.0%
Phosphorus (P)..min 0.1%
Salt (NaCl)..........min 8.0%
Salt (NaCl)..........max 9.0%
Iodine (I).............min 0.1%
Potassium (K).....min 3.0%

4) Green Lipped Mussels: freeze-dried powder
Lipids
Green Lipped Mussel Powder Extract typically contains 4-6% total lipids.
Carbohydrates
Green Lipped Mussel Powder Extract typically contains 20% total carbohydrates.
Protein
Green Lipped Mussel Powder Extract is typically 55-60% protein. This protein is constituted from the following amino acids as follows:
Ash ........................ 9%
Carbohydrates ....... 17% (includes Glycosaminoglycans)
Lipids ....................13.5%
Protein ................... 55%
Cholesterol ............ 2%
Sodium (Na) ........... 2%
Potassium (K) ......... 1%
Magnesium (Mg) .... 0.2%
Calcium (Ca) .......... 0.3%
These facts below are from blue mussel (normal looking black ones, as I can't find any info like this for green lipped)
Amount Per 3 oz (85 g)
Calories 146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3.8 g 5%
Saturated fat 0.7 g 3%
Polyunsaturated fat 1 g 
Monounsaturated fat 0.9 g 
Cholesterol 48 mg 16%
Sodium 314 mg 13%
Potassium 228 mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 6 g 2%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Protein 20 g 40%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 19%
Calcium 2% Iron 31%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 340% Magnesium 7%

5) Chlorella: powder

Serving size: 3200 milligrams
Serving per container: *

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 12
Calories from Fat: 4
% Daily Value** Total fat <1g <1% Carbohydrate 1g <1% ...Dietary Fiber <1g 2% Protein 1.8g 4% Chrorella 3.2g * Typical profile of naturally occuring nutrients * Vitamin A (as Beta Carotene) 1885 IU 38% Vitamin C 2mg 4% Vitamin K 8mcg 11% Rivoflavin (B2) < 1mg 9% Foliate (Folic Acid) 144mcg 36% Vitamin B12 1.8mcg 29% Calcium < 1mg <1% Iron <1mg 6% Iodine 38mcg 26% Manganese <1mcg 6% Sodium < 1mg <1% Chlorophyll 77mg *

What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

So I got super ansty and made a small small small batch of food. Sadly I didn't take pictures of the process but have been getting good results the past week of feeding.

I only have some of the full ingredients I want to use (I like puddles strive for a staple full course food and plan to add a ton of vegetables to the mix once moved and have a dehydrator). But like I said I got antsy and made a small batch.

I did a powder mix (when I make it again I'll give all my ingredient listings) with agar agar as a cohesive and did a 24 hour water test. First test of sinking passed! After 24 hours in about a half cup of water the food was a bit softer and definitely falling apart but just In smaller chunks. Hard to explain it. I was going to explain about how well the water test went but I am now realizing I'm a ditz and did the wrong test so I'll get back to everyone on that.

So at least the shrimp like it so far but after more testing and I have a more complete product I would love to send out samples for those who'd like to help me test it.

-Duffy