Howdy from the Ozarks

BadKarma

Well HI!

Not really a total noob. I've been around and knee deep in aquariums since I was a youngun, I'm 54 now. My Mother was an Angel Fish nut many years ago and she got me into Bettas. I bred and raised them for several years, but High School and then the Navy and life in general took over.

A few weeks ago, I ran across several derelect tanks at a yard sale, they were dirty but otherwise in serviceable shape, no scratches or leaks that I could see, this was proven when I get them home. After some thinking I've decided to delve into an area that I know nothing about, shrimp. After watching a few youtubes, I'm sold. 

So here I go. Got lots of reading and I can already see some questions starting to form. I'm so glad I found a community to push me over the edge of this slippery slope.

Thanks y'all. Might even see a couple Crayfish around, too.

Lee  (Karma)

Hello BadKarma, and welcome to TSS!

I'm originally from SW Missouri as well, currently reside in St. Louis.

Glad to see other shrimpers ~locally.

Oh, and word of caution on the crayfish.......you may already know this.  I'm not sure on the rules on keeping crays domestic to Missouri (I believe it is allowed), but import of crayfish into Missouri is prohibited by the MDC.

20 minutes ago, Shrimple minded said:

Hello BadKarma, and welcome to TSS!

I'm originally from SW Missouri as well, currently reside in St. Louis.

Glad to see other shrimpers ~locally.

Oh, and word of caution on the crayfish.......you may already know this.  I'm not sure on the rules on keeping crays domestic to Missouri (I believe it is allowed), but import of crayfish into Missouri is prohibited by the MDC.

Hey!! I was born and raised down here near Branson. 

Yeah, I know about the import laws. I'll catch a few locally if I decide to go there. 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I decided to start off with a 10G Red Cherry. I went to my local "brick" big box pet place and got lucky, the girl who runs the fish area is a shrimper. She will order what I want with a live guarantee. And while I was there I spotted some fish I have not seen since I was very young and starting out, White Cloud Mtn. Minnows!!!!!! I love those tiny little soldiers. So when I'm ready to get going, the Cherries will have tankmates. Maybe even a Dwarf Cory, too.

Okay, heres the first battery of questions:

Could someone point me in the right direction of maybe a step-by-step (with recommended products) tank setup up to putting in the water?

Got a link or something?

Did a search, but the overload was giving me a headache. This is going to be a basic Cherry tank with some general plants.

I can handle after putting in the water. All the youtubes say different and I don't know who to believe. I figure you folks gotta know what your doing.

Thanks

3 hours ago, BadKarma said:

Okay, heres the first battery of questions:

Could someone point me in the right direction of maybe a step-by-step (with recommended products) tank setup up to putting in the water?

Got a link or something?

Did a search, but the overload was giving me a headache. This is going to be a basic Cherry tank with some general plants.

I can handle after putting in the water. All the youtubes say different and I don't know who to believe. I figure you folks gotta know what your doing.

Thanks

Look up "Mark's shrimp tanks" on youtube.  He has a few vids about tank setup.

What specifically do you need to know about the initial setup? 

9 hours ago, Nikolaus777 said:

Look up "Mark's shrimp tanks" on youtube.  He has a few vids about tank setup.

What specifically do you need to know about the initial setup? 

Just that I see a lot of people using all kinds of powder and stuff, even before they put the substrate in. Is this done on all shrimp tanks and what is it all for?

Welcome BadKarma! We are glad to have you.

2 hours ago, BadKarma said:

Just that I see a lot of people using all kinds of powder and stuff, even before they put the substrate in. Is this done on all shrimp tanks and what is it all for?

Those people are adding beneficial bacteria and finely ground food to jump start the tanks.

It is not necessary but it can help set the tank up a few days quicker and give the shrimp a good food source.

48 minutes ago, Nikolaus777 said:

Those people are adding beneficial bacteria and finely ground food to jump start the tanks.

It is not necessary but it can help set the tank up a few days quicker and give the shrimp a good food source.

Okay, I can see that.

Thank you very much.