Guppy feeding

OMG Aquatics

The man "created" (selectively bred) guppies are certainly a far cry from the wild types.

I keep wild guppies outside which I caught years ago in a canal (not mosquito fish) and they pick through wood, etc for food . Active little hunters while I think the selective bred guppies only take top food?

I have a mixture of wild type crossed with a few hardy random fancies. They eat anything and everything that falls into the tank. It doesn't matter how big or little it is, or whether it floats or sinks, they're going to try and eat it. I've seen adults gulping down powdered fry food. If I skip feeding the tank for a few days, they'll even start eating algae.

Possibly, I should feed them more ... ? Or they're just gluttons, I can't really tell.

Soothing,

Thanks. I always thought that since their mouths were positioned up they only ate off the top.

Chib,

I imagine most of your fry are less and less fancy as time goes on?   I mixed my wild guppies with some very pretty endlers (going back 3 years) the fry are fairly uninteresting after a couple of generations but not nearly as drab as my guppy/platy hybrids , lol.

I actually prefer the wild type strain, so that was pretty much what I was after. I have mostly girls anyway and I don't really breed them for a purpose. They just kind of hang out and fry appear. And then three months later I'm squinting at the tank wondering why I only have one male.

I think the shape of the mouth can be hit or miss depending on how well the fish adapt, other than bottom feeders. A determined fish is going to eat.

Chibikaie,

I keep them outside and at this point have quit a few . They are very hardy and great mosquito eaters without being vicious like mosquito fish .   I lose some here and there to ringneck snakes and garters but losses are minor .

I added bumble bee platies couple years ago and imagine the ugliest hybrids ever but the whole lot is happy and that is what counts.

depends on the fish. my guppies (swipped a couple males from mom till i get mine back) munched on the zucchini i had in the tank for the bn as well as ate flake food, and sninking pellets. but you should not put more food in than they will eat in say 10-20 min. it will foul the water fast