Temp control

I'm having a hard time controlling the temp in one of my tanks right now so I just wanted to get some feedback I guess. With no heater my tank was around 66-70. I bought a eheim jager with the intent of keeping it right around 70. So I set the temp to 69 and put the heater in. When I checked the temp the tank was at 76. I turned the heater down all the way and haven't checked the new temp yet but I'm hoping it regulates a little lower. How do you all control your tank temps?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Did you calibrate the heater? Those eheim heaters need to be calibrated it's easy to do. Should say how to in the instructions.

Haha nope. Never had a heater that needed to be calibrated before. Who knew lol.

In my experience most heaters aren't very accurate so you need to play around with the temp to find out if 75 is actually going to keep the water at 75 or it will be 82.

In my experience most heaters aren't very accurate so you need to play around with the temp to find out if 75 is actually going to keep the water at 75 or it will be 82.

with these heaters you can adjust it so that 82 is 82, 75 is 75 you just spin the numbers lol

• 1 month later...

It depends on where you live.  If I don't add heaters to my tanks they will get into the mid to low 60s in the winter.  My shrimp tanks are in my basement but we keep our house at 63 in the winter as well.  The shrimp will do fine at those temps but their growth and breeding slows way down.  In my case it is worth the expense of heaters to increase their growth and breeding. 

+1  The room the shrimp are at can get in the 50'sF here.  At that point I start having die offs.  The opposite is also true here though. The room is poorly insulated, so in the summer it can get 80's in the room which- if they are not used to the heat- can kill them also..

My heaters are set at 78-80F.  In my case, the less change for their environment the better.  Another pro is since I dabble in selective breeding, I have faster generations.  The con is they burn out much quicker at that temp than normal.

I don't deal with crs atm though, mostly neos.

I have had them much lower without any problems Neos seem to be much more cold tolerant and definitely more heat tolerant . I will say this I know for sure if the top ices over they die :) That was not a controlled test rather a stupid mistake

I can say without question 60 to 80 is safe for all but the tropical shrimp ( Sulawesi ) . My tanks get close to 60 but that's in a cold basement . Like I said I have had them colder but would not recommend it and it was for short periods of time . Mine keep breeding maybe even have larger broods but they hatch slower under say 70 but my idea is they would go thru temperature changes in nature and that's what they are adapted to so why not ? No scientific fact here just observations

I was thinking of seasonal changes actually . Cold water runoff in the spring . Most of the original species that have been selected for the trade lived in cool shaded mountain creeks . Almost no water flow in the Dryer summer but colder runoff in the spring or rainy season . Full of leaves and detritus and of course they evolved to eat the bacteria and other microorganisms that live off the leaves etc. . Think of a pool of water with just a trickle coming in at one end for most of the year . Then a rushing torrent for short times after heavy rain and stirring up all the sediment and debris . They tend to stay in the shade as much as possible and the creeks are pretty shaded as well . There are cooler and warmer season's but its not as Dramatic as the climate in most of the US . Just a hunch I have based on where they live not saying anything absolute just in general . In raising living things it always seems if you make little changes and try to duplicate some of the conditions of their original habitat they seem to do better . But that's just my thinking there are many ways to Catch a fish

Well Soothing you got me thinking so I did a little research . Most of my knowledge of habitat was for Cardina ( cantonensis and serrata ) species so I checked into Neocardina davidi ( heteropoda as it was formerly known ) and found my theory and experience to be surprisingly correct . They originated in Zheijiang province in China and a quick check revealed winter night temps temps commonly get to 0 to -5 C  ( Freezing and below ) . The waters can range from 5 to 30 C or 40 to 85 degrees F . They inhabit creeks and larger streams than the Cardina  do . Likely because they reproduce and grow faster so are able to keep up with predation from fish ( Very few fish in the Cardina habitat ) . An interesting sidenote was that they have become established in a stream in Germany that has warm water runoff and there is fear they may spread into the Rhine . In 1 observation they survived a few winters in a pond that had a thick coating of ice in the winter for a few seasons . So Neocardina can definitely tolerate to 40 or possibly below even for long periods .

If we are talking wild neos, then I would agree. 

However keep in mind these artificially selected neos have been bred for generations in artificial surroundings and environments.  So that's where my thinking may deviate from yours.  In my mind it would be taking people who who live in Florida all their lives for generations, whom also may have an Inuit (Eskimo) background, and dropping them into Alaska and saying they should be fine because their past history states their people came from there.

If the temps work okay for you, that's awesome.  :thumbsup:

All I know is that mine start dying off in the 50's. ;)