I have seen these mentioned on a handful of strange sites, but never found anyone with access to them. Has anyone else come across or tried these?

Malili water plant. Chara sp. (Towuti red flower)

Chara SP Fragilis. (Red cherry water plant)

Mini red cherry water plant.

I have heard it mentioned these are more akin to mosses and algaes, then vascular plants. Here are a few internet pics

mini_red_cherry_water_plant.jpg

photo-73.jpg

I have been search for a source of Red Cherry Water plant with no luck. So this is a good thread, hopefullly something coming up here.

I am trying to get the woman I work with to get her import licenses for plants so I can bring them in since I have seen them on pricelists before but so far I haven't been able to.

Saw a few folks in SCAPE bring it in, from their impressions its definitely low tech. They also mentioned it was fairly tough and died in no time with a lower Ph. I think having it for the added native baterial species might help with WC Sulawesi transitions.

I have had good luck with WC Sulawesi's by using Salty Shrimp Sulawesi Mineral 8.5, snowflake food, and GlasGarten Bacter AE.

I have heard it was quite brittle, almost like a hornwort. I wondered if that might be silica or a mineral the algae was using. If so that might account for the melting in lower Ph tanks

I had wondered about a need for silica, like horsetails. With them both being primitive I thinks its certainly plausible, just no proof. Need some to experiment a bit, lol.... I wonder what the silica levels in the Sulawesi lakes are?

• 1 month later...

had this plant several years ago, when sulawesis first hit the market.  like others i melted but mine held on for a month or two if i recall.  ph was only 7.5 or so.  this was before salty shrimp remineralizers were available.  its an interesting macro algae.  behaves like some seaweeds you find in Hawaii tide pools.  its brittle and  crunched when crushed so the silica thing may hold some validity.  its a small plant though and closely resembles a macro algae i keep in my opae ula tank, similar look and size but not the density.  never saw the red cherries that gave it its name either.