Any one uses Seachem Purigen in shrimp tank?

JamesHe

the product claims to absorb nitrate and other things.

I did once in one of my heavy stock tank. no ill effect noticed.

it clean the yellow tint in that tank, but still slightly cloudy after use it. and nitrate in this tank is already low.

I think of using it to against higher nitrate in my another tank.

I want you guy's opinion for this product. thanks

- James

I use it to clear water and just for piece of mind as it will absorb bad things in the water nitrate nitrite ammonia

do you add it at beginning when you setup the tank, or you add it in the middle to help absorb bad things

I want to add to an existing tank, but worry about change the water parameters too much.

The stuff us awesome in tanks. It makes the water crystal clear and works great. I use a tiny bit in shipping to for extra measure. I swear by it and it won't affect the chemistry in your water. It absorbs bad stuff releases nothing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I use it in my tank.

I replaced the carbon in my HOB with Purigen and kept the biomax and foam. I have two Purigen sachets that I switch out and recharge per the instructions. Working great for me!

Add one bag to the filter last night, I noticed the pH swing from 5.98 to 6.24.

It really does something.

see the red arrow:

post-231-0-55471600-1408044245_thumb.jpg

I noticed it then followed a downcurve to back to where your ph was.

Yes, normally, pH goes down after light off. and goes higher once light on.

and over time, it shift lower, and water change bring it back to higher level.

I love purigen or chemi-pure but I NEVER add them to my shrimp tank filters after I rinse them out. I have found that inverts do not take this well .

I place them in a container of water for 24 hours prior  or better yet run them in one of my fish tanks 24 hours before putting them in shrimp tank.

I love purigen or chemi-pure but I NEVER add them to my shrimp tank filters after I rinse them out. I have found that inverts do not take this well .

I place them in a container of water for 24 hours prior  or better yet run them in one of my fish tanks 24 hours before putting them in shrimp tank.

Sounds like if shrimp has lots of organic waste, it would change the water parameter too much.

So far, I tried in my two shrimp tank, no ill effect found.

I love purigen or chemi-pure but I NEVER add them to my shrimp tank filters after I rinse them out. I have found that inverts do not take this well .

I place them in a container of water for 24 hours prior or better yet run them in one of my fish tanks 24 hours before putting them in shrimp tank.

Use prime or another dechlorinator and overdose the container. Rinse after a day repeat and then check with ammonia test and if clear good rinsing and it's good.

• 4 weeks later...

Recharging is easy enough, but the scent of the bag after use makes me throw it away and buy a new one.

Yeap, it's not worth to take the risk.

Purigen is great but I stopped using them in my tanks because it became a bit of work keep recharging them / swapping them out when to got a dozen tanks or more. Used to use them in reactor type setup but that was a pain too as they had to be recharged more frequently.

I decided it was easier to just not use it vs keeping old purigen. But if need too I have some charged and ready to go.

I used to use Purigen in all of my planted aquascaped aquariums. All of my shrimp only tanks I only use alot of bio-media for my canister filters. I really never clean my canister filters out, I think the mass of beneficial bacteria keeps everything in check, on top of shrimp not producing alot of waste.

Yeap, it's not worth to take the risk.

Using pure form of prime works well and soak for a few days changing water daily work's. Too expensive not to.

• 3 weeks later...

I've wondered this as well, since it's so effective at cleaning the water, and I always thought the slight discoloration produced by tannins couldn't really be separated from their other effects. Anyone know?

(I also wonder about the plant ferts I put in sometimes... Is a good chunk of that getting adsorbed right out on first pass through the filter?)