water parameter for breeding?

Should the water be different to get your shrimp to breed?

Right now I keep:

Temp - 73 F

TDS - 165

PH - 6.4 - 6.6

RO Water and Bee Shrimp Minerals, and nothing else

One Indian Almond Leaf

One small bunch of miniature Alder Cones

Xmas moss only in the tank, no other plants or moss, but there is plenty of xmas moss - xmas moss wall, and half of the floor is xmas moss.

Couple of organic fallen Oak leaves

One Malaysia Driftwood piece in the 10 gallon tank

Small peat cup floating on top

BorneoWild Bee Balls in the tank

Food is a mix of veggies, protein, minerals, and only good quality food. I feed them every other day. Whatever they can eat in three hours, if there is anything left, I take it out.

Have a dual sponge filter and a Penguin BioWheel 200 HOB with bioballs for second media, and

moving bed filter with K1 media in it.

They all seem fine. I haven't had a single death, that I know of. I change 15% of the water every other Saturday.

So, is there anything different I should be doing? or something I should change?  Maybe play some Barry White music. lol

Shrimp types in the next post.

I guess I should say what Shrimp I have too.

Crystal Red Shrimp

Crystal Black Shrimp

Black Panda / BKK cross

Orange Eyed Tigers

Blue Velvets

Yellow Neons

Regular Tigers

Caridina Babaulti - Greens

ive been told a tds of about 125 is perfect for tb so that is what i keep mine at. and temp does not get above 72 ever. bacteria can start to kick in any higher. some shrimp are more prone to it than others though

Whats your GHtds value of 125 gives me a gh of 5. This is what I aim for. How long have you had your shrimp? Sounds like quite a variety you have. Do you keep them all in the same tank?

My GH is 5 to 6, and

0 KH. because I only use RO water and the bee shrimp mineral GH+, and nothing else in the water.

My temp never goes over 73F. It stays pretty steady from 72 to 73, but never over 73F.  Should I keep the temp lower? like around 70F?

I can lower the TDS, no problem. I have heard some many people say to use a TDS of 190 to 210, and them some say 150. So I split it and keep my TDS at 165, but lowering it to 125 would be

easy to do, although I would probably lower a little bit at a time until I got to 125.

Right now, all of my shrimp are all together in a 10 gallon tank. I have a new 48" Long tank coming next week that will give me the ability to make 6 dividers and

split them up, but right now, they are all in the same tank, and seem to be doing just fine. All different sizes too.

i think the tds will depend on the shrimp same with gh and kh values. ive had neo's with tds in the325 range. i have had crs up there too but as an oops, i didnt know i got a couple babies in a neo tank when i moved some plants. as for my tb's i keep a close eye on the tds. if it hits 150 i do a water change so it stays in a 25 point range (i try to keep it at 125)

So, does everyone that keeps shrimp try to keep their TDS around 125? 

The TDS of 165 that I have been keeping it at, is too high?

DOC4PC2,

The TDS depends on what type of shrimp your planning to breed. A TDS of 165 would be perfectly fine for Neos, for Taiwan Bees you may want to lower it just a bit, 125-145.The temperature, and GH seem just fine though.

Hope this helps.

Being as new as I am, I don't know what you are calling a Neo?   or a Taiwan Bee? 

Are crystal reds, and blacks, bees? or neos?  

We need a  vocabulary list for newbies like me.

I guess I should say what Shrimp I have too.

Crystal Red Shrimp

Crystal Black Shrimp

Black Panda / BKK cross

Orange Eyed Tigers

Blue Velvets

Yellow Neons

Regular Tigers

Caridina Babaulti - Greens

They should be good for now, would be worried about cross breeding if you don't want them to.

-Chris

Should the water be different to get your shrimp to breed?

Right now I keep:

Temp - 73 F

TDS - 165

PH - 6.4 - 6.6

RO Water and Bee Shrimp Minerals, and nothing else

One Indian Almond Leaf

One small bunch of miniature Alder Cones

Xmas moss only in the tank, no other plants or moss, but there is plenty of xmas moss - xmas moss wall, and half of the floor is xmas moss.

Couple of organic fallen Oak leaves

One Malaysia Driftwood piece in the 10 gallon tank

Small peat cup floating on top

BorneoWild Bee Balls in the tank

Food is a mix of veggies, protein, minerals, and only good quality food. I feed them every other day. Whatever they can eat in three hours, if there is anything left, I take it out.

Have a dual sponge filter and a Penguin BioWheel 200 HOB with bioballs for second media, and

moving bed filter with K1 media in it.

They all seem fine. I haven't had a single death, that I know of. I change 15% of the water every other Saturday.

So, is there anything different I should be doing? or something I should change?  Maybe play some Barry White music. lol

Shrimp types in the next post.

First I would recommend nothing smaller then a 20Gallon if breeding trust me I tried breeding Cherrys  in a 10 and NOTHING moved to a 20 and there are babies every where!! And if you cant breed cherrys in a 10 you are not going to breed Crystal bees! You should use a sponge filter and you need at least DOUBLE filteration and they like cold temps your temp is a little warmer then they like..I am not a fan of the penguin filters so I wont go there and if you are serious you need to get soil specific to bee shrimp like ADA that keeps the parameters exactly were you need them & TDS LOW like 0 which is essential for breeding!! This soil is pricey but 1 bag is good for a 20 gallon and will last  for years only it also cycles the tank so make sure you wait until there is no more ammonia being leached!! I would also recommend Mosura Rich Water to help treat the water of course this all depends on the grades of bee shrimp too... I hope I helped a little :)

They should be good for now, would be worried about cross breeding if you don't want them to.

-Chris

The only cross breeding I would be worried about is the NEO as for Cardinia you could get some pretty and rare types!! Which are worth big $$ NEOs always produce UGLY babies when cross bred they revert back to there natural brown color and as far as I have seen I have never seen a ugly crossbreed cardina however the more you do this the less there life span is and more sensitive they are! I would only be worried about that because with the mix you have you have the possibility to create a Green hulk! Red wine king kongs blue bolts!

Being as new as I am, I don't know what you are calling a Neo?   or a Taiwan Bee? 

Are crystal reds, and blacks, bees? or neos?  

We need a  vocabulary list for newbies like me.

Bees are of the Cardinia species and Neo-cardinia is cherry or rillis or blue yellow orange all other colors but you cant keep any together or the babys will revert back to there natural brown color! Cardinias can be kept together thats how a wide variety of beautiful expensive forms are created however some ppl like a pure blood line so ?? You should Google this probably easier! Only shrimp that will interbreed are that of the same species NAME ..I am a little concerned that you know so little yet have some very very expensive shrimp!! I would have started small and went from there because your going to end up wasting your money trust me! If you dont even know the difference in species thats a basic!! You just are buying based on what you like not thinking about the different water parameters each like and just because they are of the same species does not mean they like the same water! You are treding on thin ice KK are like 99.00 each! and this is all in a 10 gallon!! OH GOSH...I am also pretty sure the Green Balbuti like much diff. parameters then the bees and so do the cherry's they cant be kept together...Especially sulwaski they prefer akaline as bees prefer acid!!

I've kept neos and crystals in the same tank with no problem at cardinia parameters. And there was breeding. But some of the shrimp should be seperated to different tanks. Trust me on this. You live and learn. When random shrimp deaths pop up you'll be scratching your head what did I do wrong. I was about a year ago. But now that I have the basics down. I started with cherries. Then moved up in the neo line to keep some of the blue shrimp speedie had. After that I scrapped the neos and focused on building a tank and params for crystals. It just so happened that the neos thrived in those conditions for me as well

Kbenson236, thanks for joining out forum. It's great to have someone here so willing to help, however there are a few things in your posts I'd like to educate on. :)

"First I would recommend nothing smaller then a 20Gallon if breeding trust me I tried breeding Cherrys  in a 10 and NOTHING"

Many of use use tenners and below to breed shrimp.  If you haven't had your shrimp breed in a tenner, then perhaps params were not correct.  While it is true that a 20g will give yo more time to correct something if something catastophic happens, a 10g is more than enough to keep shrimp in.

"TDS LOW like 0 which is essential for breeding!!"

Actually a TDS of 0 will kill all your shrimp.

"NEOs always produce UGLY babies when crossed"

For the most part true, but not always.  I know of at least two crosses that will not produce wilds.

"Only shrimp that will interbreed are that of the same species NAME"

Again not true.  We can do hybrids in the shrimp world, too.

"KK are like 99.00 each!"

This statement leads me to believe that you are new to shrimp forums. (?)  If you are- welcome!  There's plenty to learn.  Prices are often very different from fish stores than forums.  You often can get kk for less than $20 ea.

"Green Balbuti like much diff. parameters then the bees and so do the cherry's they cant be kept together."

Many people successfully keep cherries and cards together.  Some have even kept babaulti with them, too.

All of my shrimps are doing fine, I have no deaths, not a single one. But, I do have a very large tank that will

be here next week. It is 48 inches long, and has 7 sections, so I can separate the species, and get more specific

on water parameters. I have not paid, what you think I paid, for my shrimps, and even though I am new, I assure you,

I research and learn and have spent countless hours before setting up the three tanks I have now. It is just the

shrimp lingo, that I am not familiar with, like Neos, or bees. Everyone uses appreviations for everything, so I

am not familiar with all of the shrimp lingo, but I assure you, I do my homework, I own both versions of the shrimp

keepers magazines, that has a ton of info, but I like getting opinions from people that have been successfully raising,

and keeping them, like on this forum. I talked to people like H4N, Will at the Shrimp Tank, Dave at invert obsessions,

and a few others on the phone at length being nice enough to let me pick their brains.

My point is, I did not just jump in, buy a bunch of shrimp, throw them in a tank, without spending hours, days, weeks,

doing research and talking to successful keepers before I set up my first tank. I also have been keeping tropical

fish for years, but never shrimp.

I will use Fluval Shrimp Substrate and black moon sand in the new tank, and only xmas moss, and one plant in

each section. I have the design, needs, water parameters and everything I need for my new larger sectioned tank.

I have drawings setup for each section, and species showing how each section will be set up right to the fallen

oak leaf. The middle section will house the filters, hob, uv sterilizer, water polisher, heater, moving bed filter,

etc, plus each section will have their own sponge filter, Malaysia drift wood, alder cones, indian almond leaf,

xmas moss, shrimp cave, air stone, and everything is planned, purchased, and ready for when the tank gets here.

I setup a special place for the tank, with top shelves, lighthouse wallpaper, heavy duty and reinforced cabinet

and stand, power stations, and even a autographed copy of favorite show called "Tanked". I have stated a journal,

and will photograph, and video each step as I go, to get help, opinions, and to inspire others to join in the shrimp life,

which will be on my website called: TheShrimpLife.com - and is being built as we speak, but will take some time

before it is online.

I have noticed their is a lot of different opinions on TDS, PH, RO water, Minerals, species, breeding, keeping

what with what, temps, etc, so I take the best info i can get, and live and learn like everyone else. Some lessons,

I am sure, I will learn the hard way, but as long as i enjoy the journey along the way, so be it. I just enjoy them,

have fun, and appreciate this forum for sure! TheShrimpLife is new and exciting, and I am learning and meeting

some awesome people along the way.