Walnut shell in a shrimp tank?

svetilda

I was thinking how we utilise walnut leaves in shrimp tanks. Shrimp go crazy for the leaves! But what about walnut shell? Did anyone tried it? have any thoughts on it? Maybe Scott Fellman from Tannin Aquatics? If we can drop a hazelnut why not walnut shell? Too much of the good stuff inside makes it too strong?

Just a guess but I would be cautious of Black Walnuts shells.  The outer husk that is removed from the nut is very acidic and has been used as a dye for years.  The convoluted shell would hold quite a bit of this material.  I'm sure boiling several times would help out, and all those crevices would be a good medium for biofilm growth.  I'm thinking a shell that has been out in the weather one season then boiled might be a better option then fresh.   Same thing for Butternuts.   Carpathian and English walnuts have a smooth shell and still have that outer husk to watch out for.  I actually like Black, Butternut and Hickory nuts as their flavor is more intense, but a bear to crack and harvest nut meats.  Just my thoughts.

Oh Soothing... now that is opening a can of worms here. Over and over I've looked at a bag of substrate and said "I love the look of that"only to notice that it is ground walnut shells with visions of floating flotsam running through my head. Does it sink? Or would one have a 20 gallon glob of goo?

10 hours ago, Wygglz said:

Oh Soothing... now that is opening a can of worms here. Over and over I've looked at a bag of substrate and said "I love the look of that"only to notice that it is ground walnut shells with visions of floating flotsam running through my head. Does it sink? Or would one have a 20 gallon glob of goo?

Like most organic products, I'm thinking it would sink after being saturated.  I have seen walnut shells on the bottom of streams.  Not sure how fast ground shells would return to the bottom after being stirred up in a tank though.