diy food

Subtletanks91

Interesting. I wonder if spirulina would have the same affect on cardinias or if chlorella has an affect on either color wise? I know in Marc's video he was saying chlorella was more nutritous than spirulina anyways

-Duffy

Might have to add it once I start making food and see what happens. Apparently it's very nutritious and beneficial for us too and for a fun fact a co-worker was trying some and it made them pee bright green. So maybe I'll get a green tank ahha

-Duffy

Marc was referring to lab grade chlorella. Lab frown chlorella is grown in specific controlled conditions to be higher in fat and protein. As compared to say swamp collected chlorella.

I'm not ure if it has any color enhanced properties. Remember marc also said that the fish store astaxanthin in there skin. Its the precursor to vitamin a. In turn astacantgin is a fish vitamin a depot, but since it is stored in there skin it enhancers certain colors. I'm wondering if the ones DIY king mentioned are stored in the same way, creating a depot under there skin they can draw from when need be

Well I just ordered some of the items I needed. Clean chlorella(courtesy of Bryce) repashy supervite, brewers yeast, lactobacillus acidophilus, and soy protein isolate.

On my shopping list for next paycheck is river shrimp dry (to make my own shrimp meal) wheat gluten, and seafood.

If I can make this correctly, and it turns out the way I want it to and my fish accept it immediately and they do well and I feel there healthy after a month of eating this strictly. I will send out samples. I'm super excited about this one.

Sweet! Good luck on your fish food! Look forward to seeing the results

By the way did you end up buying anything from the Florida farms site? I ordered some yeast and vitamin mix but I should have looked at their shipping/ordering page because it's weird haha

-Duffy

Edited by Duff0712

I am too, this will be a first making fish food. I've made shrimp food before. Add mah shrimp loved it. I had to starve them for two weeks before they accepted my food but once they did they would eat processed foods.

Now for my fish, that a different story because I feed mostly exclusive omega one frozen foods. They just started accepting cobalt pro breeders formula for cichlids with probiotics. Now when I feed them with the pellets they literally dive for it and shove eachother out of the way.

The challenge will be shipping it because it will be frozen food that you need to thaw and keep in the refrigerator.

Oh! Speaking of omega one food. Ill prob make a post about this too but they are having a photo contest until early September for photos for their 2015 calendar. If you get chosen you win free omega food for a year.

-Duffy

What?????? Like photo of your fish enter it and you get free food for one year. That could be profitable. Lol. But they probably only send you like 3 big containers.

I like cobalt better than omega one. Omega one just took a shot in the respect area for me. The national geographic food is made by omega one. -.- this upsets me because you might as well say they got taken over by a major coorporation. Annnnd they made the nat geo food with more fillers and less nutrients.

Hahaha yeah you send in up to three pictures of a favorite fish or coral. As to what for a year of food means, who knows. Cobalt is a good one. We just recently got them in our store last couple months, we have omega as well but not as familiar with them haha

-Duffy

What store do you work at?

Omega one is a good food. But after reading these websites and watching these videos. I'm more aware of what a good diet is for fish. And fillers aren't one of them lol

yeah those vids definitely opened my eyes haha. I work at a "mom and pop" store in Washington. The owner likes to carry higher health foods (especially for dogs/cats) which is great. We don't have amazing fish foods but for the most part they are better than most.

For shrimp meal what do you think of buying zoo med dried river shrimp and crushing it into a fine powder. Or maybe mealworm meal buying flukes dried mealworms or crickets and making a powder out of those?

Would chlorella be good in shrimp food as well? Or just fish?

Edit: Read the thread again. Seems like no one is really sure. So I have another question, has anyone used or heard of mushrooms being used in shrimp food? What about decapsulated brine shrimp eggs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't heard of decal bs being used, but it could be a possible source for protein. If you read the ingredients on most shrimp foods they use veggies.

However the mushroom I have never heard of being used. I wouldn't think they should be used as they are a type of fungi

As far as I know (read this somewhere I think), that the snowflake food is soy bean shells and mycelia which would be a part of mushrooms. Whether that's true or not using the specific parts might be useful.

I will be adding chlorella to my food mix when I get around to it. Supposedly it's more nutritious that spirulina (at least comparing lab raised)

-Duffy