Greetings from Montana

Wygglz

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and though I've been reading I thought it time to introduce myself. I have no idea where this new passion will lead but right now we have a setup of approximately 210 gallons consisting of 8 20 longs, sump, and refugium (my otherhalf tends to "go bold" when building things). So far one tank has Bloody Marys, one will soon have Soothing's dwarf blue crayfish, and one will soon have Blue Dreams. It sounds like another will have neon fish to add biomass until I'm ready to fill them all. Oh, and it is all fed with RO water from a heated reserve tank. I just wanted a ten gallon shrimp tank to check it all out but....

So I just wanted to say Hi and thank you all for this forum with the fantastic knowledge base and the friendly members. Having such a setup is a bit overwhelming so it is great to have this resource to develop my own knowledge.

Thank you for the warm welcomes! Yes 35ppt, this all actually began because I wanted to take my old 20L to work as I do therapy with kids and wanted something interesting for them to learn about and begin developing an appreciation for animals. That tank has a white clarki crayfish, a couple of mystery snails, and some guppies. My other half however decided he would miss the tank so we got another one for home. That led to another, and research, and another, until he remodeled part of the basement to build me my breeder setup with his discus setup next on the list. I've always loved genetics and color gentics in particular so shrimp seem ideal (and much more sensible than horses for a color genetic hobby).

Now we both spend too much time on forums like these and comparing information but it is great to have a hobby we both enjoy so much. He does the building and water quality while I do feeding and breeding.

Thank you Rye. Yes, it seems like it will be, now I just have to catch up and learn enough to make it work. I see you are close to my old stomp'in grounds. I went to school at SUNY Cobleskill at one time.

Thank you Rye. Yes, it seems like it will be, now I just have to catch up and learn enough to make it work. I see you are close to my old stomp'in grounds. I went to school at SUNY Cobleskill at one time.

Looked at going to Cobleskill for school, ended up going to SUNY Delhi for Veterinary Science instead.

Just click on the More Reply Options button and you can attach files

Thank you, Steve. My other half is a master woodworker but also does contracting including plumbing and electrical so I'm lucky. He just got the idea to do it and it happened. Now I need to pull my end of it.

Right now I'm just doing the neos and crays until I'm certain I can, but I'm really hoping to get into caridinas too. A LFS wants us to build them a fish room & allow us to wholesale to them as well. I think neos and crays will be better to introduce the area to the inverts.

Welcome Wygglz! Not sure how I missed your introductory, but what a great looking setup. We are glad to have you!

• 1 month later...

I am the other half of this thing that wygglz, to much, on this forum.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone on the forum, and state how much I appreciate the knowledge shared on here.  When I get time I will introduce myself properly and show you a tour of the fish room. For now I will add a copy of the pm I just sent to h4n which shows the set up which I call the shrimp blender.  You may think that doesn’t sound right, because is supposed to be a shrimp breeder. Yes I am asking for his help, and feel free to chime in if you have any other ideas.

Anyhow, here are just some poor quality up and running shots for a taste of what is to come, which I plan to go through everything from the RO set up to how and why I set water parameters the way I do, along with pics of a discus breeder set up I am in the process of robbing a bank to get done.  Soon after, I will rob another bank, to pick up some stendker discus from discus hans to blend with the shrimp. And I will answer the ever important internet question everyone wants to know.  Will it blend?  If unfamiliar with this internet question please search you tube for “will it blend” to get the idea.

I apologize for making light of the situation I’m in, because the last thing I want to do is harm these beautiful creatures.  So please don’t think that I think this is cool.  Just looking for some help here and sometimes humor is the way I deal with a crap situation.

Of course when I get all this posted, I would welcome any and all input and suggestions you have on improving the process I use.

Thanks all!, and here is the pm to h4n.  Not so “pm” any more is it.  Right.

Dear h4n,

Sorry to contact you when I have not even introduced myself on the forum, but the situation is dire at this point.

I am the other half to wygglz on this forum and have built a breeder set up for her from the ground up.  I have 8 20 longs all on a sump with Kaldness K1, filter floss, purigen, and some de nitrate all in the sump >>>>>> along with a bunch of baby shrimp ... in the sump...... and wherever else water goes.  …..some of which, have ended up going through a blueline pump with massive rotating blades, and survived.  They were found in various tanks throughout the set up along with maybe a dimm or two.  Hmmmmmm.  I have tried multiple forms of filter media in the overflows which somehow the little 1mm buggers end up getting though. Or worse yet they get stuck on top of the media and die. 

I am using 1 inch 90 male NPT x 1 inch female slip screwed directly into a 1 " bulkhead. 

I do have wonderful success in the fact there is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and believe it or not, a consistent 0 nitrate with a nice bio load, all due to this multiple tank set up, lots of plants, and 220 gallons of stable ph 7.4 water.  All of which I guess is not so useful to the lives of the little shrimp bugger fry.

So my question is this.  Will you build me some stainless fry safe filter screens for the overflows?  I need 8 of them with an open end shaped like a tube with the top closed off as well, even though the top will be above the water line.  Think of it as an upside down HOB intake screen that has a round tube to slide it over.

Here are some pics of the set up.  The white 90's were purchased from home depot.  Where the motto should be..... let’s do this... even if it is wrong!

This is a view from the top of the overflow.  The outside diameter of the 1 inch fitting is 4.21 cm on my caliper. The photo below it shows the caliper measurement.

post-2786-0-27243000-1442719540_thumb.jp

post-2786-0-26832800-1442719553_thumb.jp

This next photo shows the fitting from a front view which skims the water surface.

post-2786-0-24577000-1442719546_thumb.jp

This is the complete set up.

post-2786-0-45569200-1442719550_thumb.jp

The ideal length of the tube would be 4.5 cm.  This would allow the screen filter to fit over the top of the 1 inch 90 and slide down to the inside corner of the 90 and have the top of the screen above the water line but below the polycarbonate lid which fits inside the rim of the aquariums.

I would also like to purchase some screen from you to use for various other projects, shrimplet safe of course.

Thank you so much for your time, and hope you can help in this effort, because this set up works great for the health of the animals inside it, well except with the occasional blended shrimp of course. The shrimp are breeding like crazy, and I would be willing to bet I would see a lot more of them if you would be willing to build some screens.

Thanks!