What's going on with my blue rili?

Mr. F

I looked into my 3g blue rili tank and noticed a strange looking female. She has a red tint to her head and back. I thought maybe she is molting, or at least I hope so... But I have only seen this color change in deceased shrimp... Maybe some of you have seen this before? The only thing I've done lately is a 15% wc two days ago and parameters were normal (with TDS slightly high, I've been battling this for a while) and have been stable since. All the other shrimp are fine, with a few shrimplet running around and a couple berried... I am curious to see what you guys think about her and what might be going on. Here she is:

908f03c09c635fff2a62b7968a5f9a19.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just went to take a look and found her spiraling around trying to swim. I scooped her up and have her in isolation. I looked for any others with symptoms, but didn't see any, but I did see another very energetic berried female and a few more teeny shrimplets hiding in the back by sponge! So that's a bit of good news. :]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How old is the shrimp? We all must remember that shrimp die of old age, we also need to remember sometimes 1 shrimp death is ok. I agree if their is any doubt to quarantine, but we must not over analyze and begin changing water parameters immediately if only 1 shrimp shows any sign and/or symptoms, especially if all other shrimp are active, and molting.

Looks milky. I would start treating with Melafix since it's not too powerful. It will help prevent other shrimp in the tank from getting it, if it is in fact and bacterial infection. I would also start with a water change. 

Yeah, I'm hoping it was just old age, because she didnt last long. However, I picked up some Melafix and tetracycline incase. I will start with Melafix then move over to tetracycline if symptoms persist.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2016 at 9:00 PM, Mr. F said:

Yeah, I'm hoping it was just old age, because she didnt last long. However, I picked up some Melafix and tetracycline incase. I will start with Melafix then move over to tetracycline if symptoms persist.

Mr F any update on the Melafix treatment preventing the others from contracting any bacterial infections? I'm wondering how effective Melafix is for bacterial.

Melafix doesn't necessarily heal sick shrimp. It is a preventative and you have to be precise with the dosing or it could be deadly. I've did a combo of Melafix and PraziPro with no deaths. It seems like it prolongs the affect of the bacterial infection has, but doesn't fully heal them. I remember one time I separated "sick" when I first started keeping shrimp and used Melafix without measuring and I killed them. Maracyn 2 works the best. If a shrimp is well into the infection most of the time nothing will fully help. 

I did a four day round of tetracycline while dosing 1/2-3/4 dose of melafix for 7 days, following the instructions for both. Stopped the spread of the infection (hopefully eradicated it) and now I have dozens of little babies running around!

Melafix doesn't necessarily heal sick shrimp. It is a preventative and you have to be precise with the dosing or it could be deadly. I've did a combo of Melafix and PraziPro with no deaths. It seems like it prolongs the affect of the bacterial infection has, but doesn't fully heal them. I remember one time I separated "sick" when I first started keeping shrimp and used Melafix without measuring and I killed them. Maracyn 2 works the best. If a shrimp is well into the infection most of the time nothing will fully help. 

Prazipro is an antiparasitic (for worms and stuff), not an antibiotic (for bacteria). Tetracycline and Maracyn 2 both work for this type of infection because Maracyn 2 is minocycline, a tetracycline derivative.

I used PraziPro because in some cases of bacterial infections involving Neos the parasites can actually mimic bacterial infections. Also, bacterial infections can be a secondary infection caused by a parasite. I agree that Maracyn 2 and Tetracycline is an effective treatment and preventative.

Haven't used prazipro so I can't attest, but I just ordered some cuz I noticed a clear bubble right between the eyes of one of my shrimp. I'm really hoping it was just a bubble and not scut. Haven't seen the shrimp or the "bubble" again yet.

You have to be really careful with PraziPro. I dosed just slightly under the recommended full dosage. The site doesn't guarantee that it's shrimp safe. I used it on my hospital tank and not my main tank. None of my shrimp died. All the shrimp I been treating are actually still alive after a month and one is berried. I don't know if they will gain their color back. You could always try the salt dip on the infected shrimp before you try using a chemical in your tank. Again all the treatments I have tried is on a separate hospital tank. I did do Maracyn 2 treatment in the main tank. Once they gain their color back I will know it was a success.