Wire shelves shrimp rack

Shrimpo

Seems like the water parameters are ideal for Sulawesi shrimp, I just got 3 amazing species from Will, Red orchid, Harliquin and Yellow nose red be. So I decided to move the softwater crystal shrimp to another tank, they will be acclimated slowly for few days to the new tank.

As the shrimp population increases I want to find a way to speed up the filtration process, thinking of adding moving bed filter to the sump like Kaldnes.

post-184-0-33699600-1407692740_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-96924100-1407692753_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-36112800-1407692767_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-93267200-1407692784_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-50540700-1407692797_thumb.jpg

If I understand this setup correctly then one tank fills up the next with the first inlet being at the tank at the leftmost and on the top shelve the outlet back to the sump would then be The last one on the furthest right hand side?If this is the case do you have a ball valve in there to shut of the whole flow of water in case of a power failure or similar event?BTW very nice setup well thought out I would say.

The water drips on the first upper 3 tanks separately, each tank will drip on the one right below. all the tanks are separated except the last 2 at the bottom, they are connected together with the sump.

The over flow is a sponge attached to T fitting, in case if the sponge is 100% clogged (impossible) then the water will escape from the T fitting preventing water overflow from the tank, any tank that has water rises few millimeters from the water mark line means its time to clean the sponge filter.

In case if I want to shut off the water flow to all the tanks, I simply disconnect the water pump power cable, if I want to prevent the water to flow to particular tank I just rotate the hose upward at the tank right above it.

I upgraded the return pump, this time I have more flow to the top 3 tanks instead of dripping which will help during winter time when I add a heater to the sump, I also added a diverter valve that circulates the water inside the sump. the bio media just came in today, its BioFLO 9 from smokymountainbiomedia.com, now that I have a lot of circulation, I will add it directly to the sump.

The Snow white/ Golden finally got berried.

got a link to those LED lights?

I never used this type of filtration before, according to what I've read about it is that the plastic rings will knock off the dead/inactive bacteria as they collapse on each other, while fixed bio media will be less effective overtime as it gets filled with dead/inactive bacteria.

Do you know of any other beneficial uses of moving bed filtration? 

It is self cleaning for the most part, always has a complete cycle of bacteria both nitrifying and denitrifying aerobic/anaerobic once established. I'd imagine its really effective at eating nitrates and ammonia. Your sponges aren't going to clean them self's moving bed is superior to static foam and supports healthier bacterial colonies.

Update:

I added Blue velvets and transferred Orange neos to another tank because they didn't do well, I can finally see shrimplets from royal blue tigers and other female berried, Crystals are growing fast, no luck yet at the selective breeding tank for Malawa shrimp, you can see the only male in the crowd with half orange body.

post-184-0-49005900-1408833556_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-70072600-1408833611_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-20626500-1408833798_thumb.jpg

What is the multicolor substrate you are using? Those low profile LEDs you linked to on ebay look like a great deal. Are you using more than one strip per shelf? Or is 1 enough light?

Seems like the water parameters are ideal for Sulawesi shrimp, I just got 3 amazing species from Will, Red orchid, Harliquin and Yellow nose red be. So I decided to move the softwater crystal shrimp to another tank, they will be acclimated slowly for few days to the new tank.

As the shrimp population increases I want to find a way to speed up the filtration process, thinking of adding moving bed filter to the sump like Kaldnes.

Have you thought about adding small air driven sponge filters to each of the tanks for extra filtration?

bostoneric, the water parameters are ideal for Sulawesi except TDS that I am working on to lower it, beside Sulawesi and Neos, other shrimp will be moved to another tank that is more acidic and lower temp. The CRS are berried again and F1 shrimplets are growing fast.

mcdonnellv, the moving filter bed provides more than enough Oxygene and each tank already have 1 sponge filter at the overflow, I did use air driven filters before drilling the tanks and convert it into one system.

Just bought 6 large kritter keepers. Going to try fit all 6 on e shelf of my rack. If it works ill buy more to fill my whole rack. I think its much more cost effective to use these vs glass tanks. Also they seem much less intimidating to drill for overflow holes.

• 2 weeks later...

Poso shrimp added few days ago, I am not familiar with this specie but it seems like I got all males except one that just got berried. I am doing few water changes to bring TDS down, 2 riparium plants also added to the bottom tanks, Ruellia 'Katie' and peace lily. the only concern is if the leaves are toxic to shrimp.

post-184-0-96074800-1410663522_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-96607600-1410663564_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-40132100-1410663633_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

How is the rack holding up? Have you noticed any bowing or warping from the weight? Ive got a bunch of smaller tanks (10 gal or less) and was thinking something like this to hold most of them. Do they hold that much weight very well?